Friday, July 26, 2013

Sorry, can you please repeat that in English?


Delving deeper into my role as a public relations Intern at 32dsg, life isn’t all smooth sailing. In a matter of hours my expectations of work experience had transformed in to a desperate desire to simply prepare coffee and tea for my superiors. But how did I get to this point…?

It was nearing the end of the working day when I was asked by the event director to complete a social media strategy for the Omnivore World Tour. I was familiar with the French culinary festival after previous work on a media release; however I had limited experience with social media. Despite this, with a good brief and a reasonable amount of time, I had the utmost confidence in my ability to produce a solid strategy.

The issue: The director has only recently located to Perth from France, where he was born and raised. With the directors basic grasp on the English language, the brief was found to be less helpful than originally anticipated. I was reassured when I was handed a two page social guideline, only it was in French… and I had three hours to research and complete the strategy ready for the 32dsg Project Manager.

In one afternoon, I was equipped with lessons that would guide the entirety of my professional career. So what were these lessons?

1.      Perseverance is key

I have discovered that within the workplace there will always be obstacles that enhance the challenge (in my case, communication), though it is in these situations that your true character is tested. Despite an overwhelming feeling of pressure, it was essential that I remain focused on the task at hand without giving into insecurities. Completion was imminent, and perseverance was a key element to success.

2.      Deadlines, deadlines, deadlines

Deadlines are a fundamental component of professional practice, proving to be both unforgiving and testing. Despite the onset of fatigue at the end of a long day, I had been given a task and its completion was immutable. In those few hours, I thought back to my university studies. In reality you are given hours, not weeks to produce work; minutes, not hours to respond to a crisis; and notes, not ‘project extension’ forms when given instructions. As a result, my ideal of deadlines has changed, resulting in an enhanced sense of urgency in all that I do.

3.      No more hand holding

In the real world there is no one to hold your hand. During those hours, I was forced to recall everything I had learnt during my PR studies, as well as personal and work experience. I could not ‘phone a friend’ or ‘pass’. I had been given a task, and it was my responsibility to complete it. Although confronting, surprisingly this lesson exhilarated me the most. I have always been an independent worker – I enjoy focusing on the task at hand and getting it done. This experience gave me the opportunity to test my work ethic, and thankfully, I excelled.


Moving forward, I look back on this experience fondly, and will instil these lessons not only throughout my professional career, but also in life.
 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Marli,

I can imagine your despair in this situation, I can picture you talking way to fast and your face looking flustered.

However, I have no doubt you completed your strategy to a high standard and within your deadline.

I have also discovered the harsh reality of the 'deadline'. I am often given a list of tasks that all need to be completed by different times. I've found the key is to prioritise. I have found that by producing a neat timeline I am able to ensure that I am working in a logical order. For example I don't start working at 9am on something that has a 5pm deadline when I have something that needs to be completed by 11:30am. This also ensures I don't forget any of the smaller tasks.

I haven't experienced any language barriers yet in my intern position, but I have on other occasions and let me give you a hint. Google translate should never be option one, in my case it ended with a very embarrassed me and an international customer thinking I was a very naïve 20 year old.

I hope your enjoying your placement, sounds like your working on some very interesting projects and I look forward to hearing more about your journey.

Marli said...

Hi Stacie,

Thank you for your comment. Luckily in this situation I was not required to speak, only to listen. Although I did feel overwhelmed at first, I did not let the situation get the better of me.

I similarly find myself in situations when I am given a number of tasks to complete by business end. Luckily I adopt a similar strategy, prioritising my tasks in order of importance ensures I feel in control.

Oh no! That must have been embarrassing. I am often made aware that Google Translate is not as reliable as it is convenient.

I hope that by reading about my journey, you are able to compare and learn from my experiences in some small way.