Tuesday, August 13, 2013

How do you e-introduce yourself?


As we all know, a vital part of the public relations practice is based around networking. Networking not only with other public relations professionals, but with journalists also.

It may sound like a simple ‘meet and greet’ at an event or even over the phone, but how do you introduce yourself through an email?

Interning at a public relations consultancy requires me to be in constant contact with journalists over the phone and also through email.  However having not met the contacts that I am pitching to makes me extremely nervous and has left me re-reading hundreds of emails before I hold my breath and press “send”.

After a consultation with my supervisor I found that the best way to introduce myself was to write a short sentence in front of my pitch advising the journalist of my recent arrival to the company and my position as a PR Assistant, along with the campaign I am currently working on.

Aside from email introductions, I have found communicating in a professional environment to be extremely easy. Once you have established a connection and assessed the way the journalist communicates you can tailor your language to suit in your replies. 


No comments: