Friday, August 9, 2013

When you’re not looking, you will find something.


I’ll start by introducing myself  - I’m Katie and have just commenced my final semester of a Bachelor of Commerce (Public Relations) degree.  When considering places to intern I wasn’t quite sure where to start, but knew I wanted to gain experience in corporate communications. 

I had completed work experience in a boutique consultancy during my first year and felt consultancy just wasn’t for me. Whilst most of my PR peers are interested in consultancy I have to say I would definitely prefer to work in-house!

So, knowing that I wanted to gain experience in corporate comms provided me with some sort of direction.  I was starting to stress as I wanted to secure a placement over the semester break so I did not have to worry about fitting a placement around studies and work during Semester Two. 

About three quarters of the way through Semester One this year I noticed on Blackboard that University Marketing at Curtin was looking for an intern to assist with Open Day. I had not even started looking for an internship but the perfect opportunity had just surfaced so I applied straight away. Within a few days I was contacted by the Open Day Project & Brand Consultant and was asked to meet for an informal interview. 

I met with Asha, the Open Day Project & Brand Consultant, she explained the main role of the Open Day intern would be coordinating family/ children’s activities for the ‘Fun Zone,’ and helping with signage and the central volunteer briefings. 

I also work in a paid position at the Curtin Careers Centre which has taught me a few things about how to interview (alongside what I learned in PR classes!). I made sure that I dressed professionally and went over-prepared with copies of my resume and samples of my work, even though this was not requested by Asha. In the end, Asha did look at a communications strategy I had completed in my role at the Careers Centre and was impressed ideas that I had come up with. It's definitely better to be over-prepared than under-prepared. 

After the meeting Asha told me that I would hear back in a few days as to whether I had been successful or not, and right on time she emailed me to let me know she would like to have me on board as Open Day intern! This was extremely exciting as I had heard so many stories about students’ difficulty in finding a placement and I had successfully landed an internship in my preferred field on my very first try.

I am extremely excited to update you on my experience working in corporate communications and project management, I hope to learn a lot about during my time at University Marketing and I look forward to hearing about other placements that people are undertaking this semester. 

(Written on May 18, 2013)

3 comments:

Carly said...

Hi Katie,

It's great you got the opportunity to work with Curtin University!
I found the same thing when I applied for my internship about being professional. I think being well dressed and prepared for an interview only puts you ahead and shows what kind of worker you. The preparation from Curtin, I found, really helped with this. I look forward to reading about how your internship goes.

Carly

katie noseda said...

Hi Carly,

I was extremely excited about working for Curtin and seeing how such a big company's communications department operates. I hope your internship is going well!

Unknown said...

Hi Katie,

Congratulations on your internship at Curtin University!

I hope the experiences you've had so far have been beneficial and insightful to your career as a Public Relations practitioner.

It's interesting you say you'd prefer to work as an in-house PR practitioner as I've been fortunate enough to have worked in that capacity and understand you're reasoning.

Not only does it give you the opportunity to specialise your communication skills within the company, but it's also the way the company makes employees feel that they are directly contributing to the success of the business which is very fulfilling.

It's great you were so prepared for your interview. I remember in some of the PR units it's been stressed to always keep a portfolio of work and look and act professional.

I'm sure Open Day will be a huge success with your help and I can't wait to read your upcoming blogs.

Ashleigh.