Sunday, September 8, 2013

Deciding on social media platforms for charities

Second Chance Horse Rescue is starting to create it's social media platform. The organisation has started to realise the social media "way" of life, how it can help reach a greater proportion of stakeholders and help increase awareness for their cause.

It was my job this week to research possible social media ideas and new platforms, ones that the committee can easily use, easily measure and can pass onto future committee members.
Second Chance currently has a Facebook page with over 6000 "likes", however they are getting asked more and more if they are involved in other media platforms such at Instagram, Pinterest, Blogs and Youtube.

Currently Second Chance uses Facebook to show off their upcoming events, the horses currently undergoing rehabilitation, photos and videos of their training as well as too show off their many success stories. They emphasise statuses by accompanying them with photographs and linking videos.

One key question was being asked; Why do people use social media?

http://www.businessinsider.com.au/the-right-social-media-platform-2013-7
This graph quickly summarises some main points in regards to what people use social media for in a business setting.

Because the committee generally has some changes year to year, the social media platoform needs to be something the whole committee can use, not just a singular person. Facebook is handy as, multiple people can be administers on the page, hence all 10 committee members have access to post on the page and be "Second Chance".

I spent the day trolling the internet, reading public relation blogs, trying to find stats on key social media platforms and emerging trends. I started with researching top platforms.


http://www.ibtimes.com/social-media-marketing-how-do-top-brands-use-social-platforms-charts-1379457














Keeping in mind that Second Chance's main strength is the rescues photographs and videos. After some thorough research I found that the following platforms would be adaptable for Second Chance and work within their organisational structure.
- Instagram
- Twitter
- Youtube
- Pinterest
- Google+

Blogs were a technique that was considered, however this tends to be created by one person in order to be consistent. Second Chance unfortunately can not secure a person who will be the organisations "Blogger" because new committee member are selected every year as stated in the constitution.

I also found that many social media sites are linked together, you can share photos from Tumblr and Instagram to Facebook and Twitter. Show in the above diagram. Hence there are a number of social media platforms to consider these days. Many things need to be taken into account when selecting one such as availability, linkage to other sites, accessibility (Phone apps) and popularity. 

Recommendations will be made at the next committee meeting and hopefully some new Second Chance will soon take up the opportunity and expand the organisations awareness in the community through social media.

PS
Sponsorship is going great for the Second Chance Fundraising show, held in just under two weeks. An article was posted in the Perth Rider Magazine after I sent in a media release with a good number of responses already. It looks like it will be a great day for the charity!

5 comments:

alm1110 said...

Hi Jade,

I found interesting your blog post on how to introduce new social media platforms to an organisation as at my internship we are looking for new ways to expand into social media as well. Although I think that organisations should stick with only a couple of social media platforms that best suit them and their services. This is because I believe the quality of social media posts are more important than the quantity of social media sites their on. What do you think?

Ashleigh

Jade Louise said...

Hey Ashleigh

Yes I definitely agree with you. I think Second Chance will be deciding on sticking with Facebook and one or two other platforms to start building their social media profile. It's, like you said, more about the quality of the posts, how informative, relevant and inspiring they are to the viewers than the amount of posts.

Unknown said...

Hey Jade,

Great post, the use of pictures is really helpful! As i used to work at Riding for the Disabled - I've learnt that it can be hard to get social media to pick up in these kinds of circles! I agree with the above point, it can be hard if you try to introduce too many different media platforms. I think Facebook is certainly your best bet, as Instagram might be a bit outside some of your demographic.

Have fun with your internship! It's a great organisation :)

Kristina said...

Hey Jade,

I've been looking at social media for my internship too, it's been really interesting looking at what platforms are best suited to different busineses

Unknown said...

Jade, very interesting and well researched blog post.

During my placement I was involved in implementing a social media campaign for our up and coming client. The NGO group Perth Centre for Photography was celebrating 21 years in photography.

The consultancy I was working for decided on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram to target our desired audience. From my own understanding I believe twitter and facebook are two social networks that are dominated in Australia and gains frequent use.

So far the project wen very well and the response via these platforms was great.

Sometimes I believe less can work better in an organisation, that way they can be monitored easier and you can reach specific target audiences.

Craig