The PR journey is almost at its end, the only thing standing between me and my degree was PR393.
I began my new PR career at 32 Degrees South (also known as 32dsg), a communications consultancy based in Shenton Park. I had always seen the PR industry as highly impressionable, with the fancy office and the tailored suits worn by what seemed to be business gladiators who would manage the commercial world from behind a desk - well I got that wrong. To my surprise there was very normal people in a funky and artsy office, going to casual business lunches and organising events in a fun and innovative way; this was something I could get used to.
Theres always those initial nerves of going into a new place, but having done some previous work experience in the PR industry I knew what to expect. I was very warmly welcomed by a very diverse group of consultants that ranged in age, areas of expertise and years in the industry. I immediately soaked up all the information they threw at me, the more I could absorb the better.
The range of clients was exciting, I could not wait to get to work. There was Omnivore - a french food festival, D&AD - a design and advertising awards organisation, OzApps - a phone application competition and The Liver Foundation of W.A.
Luckily for me, I did not have to choose and was able to work on all of them. OzApps and D&AD were first up, my task was to source media and key department contacts from Australian and New Zealand universities so that the awards could be introduced to students. Before I knew it there was hundreds of contact details that I had sourced from a range of universities, the next challenge was getting in contact with them all to introduce the idea. I had never thought that a simple telephone call would be the main use of contact in the PR industry - I guess email had always just seemed the more formal and logical approach to me in the past.
32dsg was highly focused on events, which was always something I had enjoyed doing in both my studies and part-time work in the hospitality industry. It was shocking to see the difference in how events are handled between the PR and the hospitality industries and the different approaches that are used. Months of planning go into a mere three to four hours of an event, which was something I was not familiar with.
The experience so far has been a huge learning curve and I look forward to what is ahead of me.
So, do want to do this for the rest of the foreseeable future?
I most certainly do!
Welcome to PR Internship - YOUR opportunity to put everything you have learned over the past years at university into practice and to get a thorough insight into what public relations is like "in the real world". This Blog allows you to reflect on your experiences, share insights with other students across campuses and to possibly give advice and support to fellow students. Please also see http://printernship-reflections.blogspot.com.au/ for more reflections
Wednesday, September 25, 2013
Do I want to do this for the rest of the foreseeable future?
Labels:
15075213,
consultancy,
Curtin Bentley,
events,
PR industry
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment