Friday, September 20, 2013

First Blog entry.

Hi I am Craig Lynch, in my final year studies completing a humanities degree of Mass Communications studying a double major in Journalism and Public Relations. I am currently completing the unit Public Relations Internship and I have been privileged to be apart of a PR consultancy based in Perth. At this stage not sure if I am allowed to name the company, will look into that for a later post blog.

It has been one roller coasted of an experience so far. I applied for the intern via email, recieved a call and went in the following week. PR Techniques we learnt about the interview process, I was well dressed, did my research into the PR consultancy and was confident. I was asked the question why should I be chosen over any other student?

I responded with what I was willing to do and sacrifice to improve my skills and further my career in the field. It was a cruisy and very confronting interview, they were upfront about what they were expecting, initiative, common sense, a busy work environment and results.

Day one I was welcomed to the team, I had to complete a few company inductions and just settled into the role. The next couple of weeks I was introduced to a few projects, I was asked to write and edit media releases, again putting my skills I have learnt into practice. What I have found grreat so far about my intern is I have come from a uni environment where I have learnt theory and practical, however now I putting my skills into a working environment where the work I produce needs to professional and have high standards.

After the first couple of weeks I was introduced to my first project, I will be working on Perth Centre for Photography (PCP) with two other interns. My role in the team will be to strategise, and write a report on media partnerships of who we can approach for free coverage. So far I have researched and justified the organisations PCP should approach, next I will need to write a document of the proposal to send to the stakeholders we wish to go into an agreement with.

The work has been stressful, engaging, hands on and so far I have learnt alot in the last 3 weeks. Their is a hierarchy in the office from Senior Management to Junior Positions, and a procedure of all outgoing documents to require senior approval.

What I like so far is I get to put the degree I have been studying for the last 2.,5 years into practice, what I find difficult is balancing between Uni, 2 jobs and completing my internship. A lot of people will say its easy, however the responsibility of moving from my home town to live in Perth and study has been another experience of having to handle all kinds of responsibility with paying bills and renting.

Until my next post, if you have any questions let me know. I will go into more detail about the project I am working on and the processes I am taking.

Craig

No comments: