Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Second Quarter: Building my knowledge


Hi Bloggers,

Over the past month I lave learned quite a lot about the world of public relations, especially about the social media aspect.

I learned to use a program called HootSuite, which allows the user to manage and schedule their posts. As out news content is all sorted through by about 10.30am, we then look to which ones are the most beneficial towards all our clients. Thus, we make a decision on the best articles to post on twitter and Facebook.

We general send out four to five tweets per day, and look to send them out at peak periods, including 10.30am 12.30am and after dinner. I have also been looking at ways we can get more retweets and interactions be retweeting clients tweets and looking at hash tagging and talking to other users in different ways.

We are also working on WA’s biggest sporting awards, the WASF Sports Star Awards. I am looking forwards to working with the West Australian Sporting Federation, 32 Degrees events and the Department of Sport and Recreation on this event. It looks like a good opportunity to meet some other people in the media, as well as work with some great athletes. We have our first meeting this thursday, and the launch last week.

I look forwards to the months ahead.

Francis

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It's interesting to see how big of a role social media can play within a pr in sport environment. I've always wanted to see if I could perhaps branch out into a sports role within a firm and it's interesting to read the sorts of things you are required to do.

Thanks mate.

Unknown said...

Oooh your intern sounds like such an experience Francis! What is hootsuite like? Is it user friendly? I have heard of the program before and companies using but i havent had the chance to use it myself. But I am always interested to learn more.
It great to see more companies use social media and acknowledge it as a great channel, rather than just 'brushing it off' to the interns but working with interns and teach us kiddies new things.
Goodluck with your sporting event, sounds like an interesting time ahead!

Cheers
Nikki