Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Social Phenomenon of Public Relations


What is public relations? I'm sure everyone else must experience this, but when people ask me what I'm studying I say "Bachelor of Commerce majoring in pubic relations and management". The general reaction is one of a blank look and glassy eyes as if I had just spoken in tongues.

So I thought in my second blog I'm going to discuss a few of definitions of public relations that I've bumped into over the last three years.

I believe that public relations are about facilitating and building relationships with multiple stakeholders to achieve goals through communication strategies. In amongst that entire rumble jumble of words public relations is about sending out a message to a set group of publics, trying to inform people about and idea.  I love this idea, the potential ability to bring about change, to sculpt a persons understanding through different strategies, also brainstorming and trying to think of new and more innovative ways to inform people or raise awareness.



On the other hand people think public relations is 'plebe' option course, in my mind it's like people associate public relation girls to the Devils wears Prada movie. As if we're all fashionistas with mobiles glued to out ears and party animals. While this is not a bad thing, and somewhat accurate it also misses out on so much more of what public relations is.



I'm currently reading this book called the Stiletto Network by Pamela Ryckman, which discusses the idea of the new 'girls clubs' that rising up all throughout the world. These ladies are changing the image of women in the workforce. Public relations may be a contrast between journalism, events management, communication and human resource management but it allows for a person to lead a diversified career pathway.

Public relations is a continual growing career as I’m sure all of you know this use of social media platforms have created a whole new section of public relations.





That's a bout all for now, but please feel free to comment below on any of the definitions of public relations you've encountered.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jayllee,

Thank you for your entertaining blog post! I really enjoyed reading about the many definitions of public relations, and find it quite humorous how so many people are still perplexed as to what the field actually is.

I came across a short definition recently which I would love to share with you. It was actually situated with an image of Homer Simpson eating a doughnut, but unfortunately I couldn't figure out how to share this with you - however I'd encourage you to read their blog post, http://www.theprcoach.com/doh-the-pr-definition-you-cant-resist/.

"Public relations is stronger relationships, the best communication, in the best channels, at the right time, to the right people."

I do agree with you about the misconception of public relations as being a 'plebe' option for airheads. It all comes down to this pop culture which points to the impact of appearance. Public relations is essentially an 'image' related business and I don't feel that we will be able to get rid of this stereotype completely, but i'm prepared to have a crack, so let's show them who's boss!

Rachel