Sunday, September 29, 2013

The lead up to events.


My internship at the Bunbury City Council has flown by. I have become completely engrossed in helping organise the 2013 Bunbury Kidsfest which will run on the 5,6,7th of October- the first three days of the Term three school holidays. Of late I have been assigned to managing the 80 volunteers, having never actually created a rosters before except for watch duty when I was in the military it hadn’t been much of a problem.
This time creating personalised timetables for 80 people with individual availabilities has been a great time consuming challenge but oh such a good feeling once completed. This last week have created the volunteer information packs and letters.
This week also allowed me to collaborate with the sponsor newsletters, which will be regularly sent out to sponsors updating them on event information and requirements for the event.
I also witnessed an exemplary example of the importance of attention to detail. For Kidsfest we are orchestrating a competition for early bird ticket purchasers to win a morning trip with the featured musical group ‘The Collective’. My colleagues and I came together to try to brain storm ideas that would allow the Collective and any potential winners something exciting to do in Bunbury. However prior to my placement the events organizer forgot to collate terms of conditions, therefore any child of age could have potentially won the competition which would have caused problems for the ability to run events.
This weekend it will be all go, I am managing the Festival theatre zone, looking after performers and making the day run smoothly. I can’t wait to see how the event runs, and to learn more about event management. 

No comments: