Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Writing E-Newsletters and Feature Articles


This week I received some more feedback on the stories I had drafted for e-newsletter, Innovations. I found it really useful to get feedback on my writing because I want to be able to write Tourism WA information in the same style that they have been using. It was also to get other people’s opinions to encourage you to think about what you are writing about in a different way. For example, when writing about the wildflowers of WA it’s not a good idea to say ‘ablaze’ with colour due to the recent bushfires. Or tips like leading with the celebrity/talent angle E.g. Pink in the swan valley.

This week I was also asked to write a feature story with a romantic focus. This was fun because I have been mainly researching and writing about facts so it was good to be a bit more creative.  The feature article ‘Fall in love with WA’ is for the feature section of innovation. We decided it would be good to put it in a later issue of Innovations as it coincides with a new campaign featuring real life couples talking about their favourite romantic experiences in WA.

I also joined my supervisor in a meeting with the manager and PR coordinator of the Sunny Cowgirls. The Sunny Cowgirls are a popular country music duo interested in working with Tourism WA to further promote themselves. My supervisor explained the ambassador program where celebrities, preferably with a link to WA, assist in the promoting on WA. There was also discussion on how Tourism WA can possibly help promote the Sunny Cowgirls in various ways but suggesting them in events or writing about any accomplishments or shows in Innovations (e-newsletter to media). It was good to sit in on a meeting and see how even though lots of things are discussed in a professional manner it is also quite casual and friendly.

1 comment:

Jade Louise said...

Hi bec

It sounds like your internship at Tourism WA can help increase your knowledge about areas in WA! It's so great how your coworkers give you feedback and advice and help continue your learning.