Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Answeing Media Enquiries


I have been replying to media enquiries from various international media which I enjoy. It is good to get experience in communicating with media. I researched information on popular WA walking trails to give to journalists for ‘The Wanderer’. Tourism WA has a lot of destination information drafted up so I was able to revamped and update copy from a previous article ‘5 top walks’. In the article I was directed to focus on ‘extraordinary experiences (Tourism WA slogan)’, events and biodiversity of the areas. I also research information on Kununurra for a media enquiry. Again, I was able to start with 2012 copy and rework it making sure all the attraction/accommodation (and websites) were still active and taking out information that is no longer relevant (e.g about Nicole Kidman and the film Australia).

For Tourism WA the message is all about the promoting destinations in a positive way and reflecting the ‘Experience Extraordinary’ slogan. ‘Experience Extraordinary’ branding is cleaver because WA is seen as a remote from other cities and the different destinations are spread out over the large state so Tourism WA focusses on how extraordinary and unique the destinations and tourism products are in order to get people to feel the trip is worth it.

I really enjoy learning about how to market the destination to different target markets interesting. When answering a media enquiring its important to take into account what will relate and appeal to the various target markets. For example, age and gender (e.g a story for Cosmopolitan Magazine), interest (e.g writing for adventure publications) or international groups (e.g. in meeting with a German media group we discussed how German tourists to WA are interested in food, wine and adventure activities).

The Destination PR teams have arranged for me to work with the Corporate Communication department. It will be good to get experience a different area of Tourism WA and get to see how Destination PR works with other departments.

1 comment:

Kirsty Large said...

Hi Bec,

I had a similar experience working at the International Super Series Hockey 9's tournament during my internship. We got a number of phone calls from journalists wanting interviews and it was my job to liase with these journalists.

Seeing as hockey isn't a sport that is as popular as other sports such as AFL all the publicity we got was definately welcome.