Tuesday, October 15, 2013

PRofessionalism


Being among professionals in their field is quite a learning experience. When you come into an environment that is foreign to you, you tend to recoil and hold back personality wise. Stepping on people’s toes, at least for me, is something I don’t like to do.

My internship involves dealing with people who are quite professional and on top of their game when it comes to their field. Government sector jobs don’t come easy and it takes some talented people to keep jobs like this.

Having said that, pretty much every expectation that I had has come out completely different, but that’s a good thing. For example, I pretty much expected to come in and be the office kitchen hand, serving everybody and doing the tasks others didn’t want to do. I know we aren’t supposed to be doing those things but that doesn’t mean I didn’t think it was coming. Having said that, my experience has been the complete opposite.

I came in and straight away was given tasks within the communication team. I had my doubts about this unit but in terms of practicality and hands on experience, it has been great. I’ve actually been included in the team and have been working on tasks that have meaning and that are relied upon by others.

Having work to do makes the days go so much faster. I remember from a previous work experience place times where I would just sit at a desk with nothing to do and stare at a blank screen. Here, I’m given work and if I finish it I’m able to jump across departments and help out others with any problems they’re experiencing. This ability to go across departments will also help me in the future, giving me knowledge of what goes on in a whole organisation, rather than a part of it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Aemero,

I found this was an issue I was also nervous about at the beginning of my PRAC placement. Everyone here is very professional and as I didnt know anyone I was nervous even be stuck in the kitchen by myself with one of the employees here.

But once I started I realized that everybody was so nice, and I was treated like an equal - no lunch runs or anything, in fact they even bought me lunch on occasion.

Thanks
Camryn