Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Research and surveys- eep!

The time has finally come where I have to go out on the field and start collecting my own research for my project with Rottnest Express.

To do this I had to become one of the people I hate, who always stop you in the city or wherever to ask you 'a few quick questions'. It was really hard at first to get people to stop and talk to me, I was a bit shy as well so it took me a while to get the ball rolling. Once I had a better idea of what to say and how to approach people it became a bit easier.

Still throughout the first day I only managed to get about 50-60 responses. I need a total sample size of 300!! so it's going to take a bit of work. I think I am going to have to use social  media to send out my surveys as well, just so that the number of people doing the survey increases.

Have a few more weeks to do this research before I have to put it all together, so hopefully things all run smoothly from now until then and I can produce a report that Rottnest Express will be happy with and that they can use :)

Will keep in touch;

2 comments:

RCram14 said...

Hey Cam.

It's very cool that you're working with Rottnest Express, that must be a fun work environment.

I can completely understand what you mean about having to do some direct marketing, usually even communications students avoid them like the plague and we work in the industry.

I've done some charity fundraising myself and although it's awkward at times it does hone your ability to sell yourself and improves your know-how when it comes to direct communication.

Definitely a good idea to get those surveys on social media, send them to your friends and ask them to share them around. That will probably get you those 300 responses in a couple of days.

Best of luck with all the research, sounds like your placement is going to be very productive.

Cheers,
Richard.

Unknown said...

Hey Richard,

It definitely took a while to become more confident with the direct marketing. I quickly learnt not to let myself get offended if someone said no to me.

I did end up using social media :) it was way easier and reached a large number of people.

Thanks for your help!
Camryn