Saturday, October 19, 2013

Third Quarter: Social media training and the beginning of an event.



Hi Bloggers,

In part three of my internship at the SportXchange Project, I had the ability to use my journalism skills.

I got an opportunity to interview Paralympic basketball Shaun Norris, who has won a gold medal, and two silvers at the last three Paralympic games.

I did this in preparation for the ANZ Sports Star Awards.

WASF is running the awards and they have asked for the projects and my help to make sure the event gets maximum publicity and the athletes get some publicity for their minor sports.

It was a joy to interview Shaun, as he is such a humble man and is more focused on team success, rather than individual success.

This is just the start of the preparation for the event, which is in mid December.

I still have a bit of publicity work to do, which will come in November and early December.

I have also been writing many blogs, which teach minor sports who do not understand the value of social media, and how they can use it to benefit their sports.

I have learned more about sports marketing and using programs such as Instagram and Hootsuite to get publicity and coverage for your business.

Not long to go now, but it has certainly been a learning experience.


Francis Curro 

2 comments:

Kirsty Large said...

Hey Francis!

That sounds really interesting! I too managed to get an internship in sport (Hockey WA).

Was a great fit for me and I'm glad I did it!

Nicole said...

Hi Francis,

As a Journalism and Public Relations student myself, I'm so glad you've been able to use the skills you've learnt in both your majors at your placement! This is something I've often worried about – finding the right balance between the two, or finding a placement/job that would allow me to broaden my skillset from both these industries, as different as they are. I'm also glad you've found a placement in the sport industry – it's such a great fit for you and I, too, found one in a field that I enjoy. Here's to hoping it works out for me as well as it has for you!

Looking forward to your final post,

Nicole