I have now officially finished my internship at Mills Wilson Communication Consultants, and what started out as a stressful experience (I'm a busy girl) ended up as a very enriching one.
I am relieved to now have two days a week free to sleep in and then work on my dreaded report! I have written a complete framework of my report, and completed the summary of work and organisation background sections. I'm really struggling to incorporate what I learnt at university with what I did during my internship, but I am sure I will get there.
Here is a short summary of the key things I learnt during my time at Mills Wilson:
- Communication materials must be consistent down to the tiniest detail: e.g. the theme listed in the proposal must be carried throughout the event plan and noted in the budget, running order etc.
- Just because you are writing for corporate clients it does not mean your writing should be dry and boring
- Writing for different audiences (in my case, different housing estates under one company) should maintain the company image but also cater to specific needs and demographics of that audience
- Don't let your emails build up!
I also learnt an important thing about myself which is that working in a 9-5 office is perhaps not the place for me (though I kind of knew this already)! That said, I have learnt invaluable skills that I will take with me out of Curtin and into my next big adventure - Melbourne.
Thanks for reading,
Good luck with all your reports!
Darcy Rahn
15518899
4 comments:
Hey Darcy!
Sounds like you gained a lot of useful insight from your internship! and are happy to have two extra days free! I know the feeling, it was sad for my internship to be over but i was also pleased to have a bit of extra time up my sleeve!
I hope you can take what you've learnt at your internship with you on your future ventures!
Best of luck,
Imogen :)
Hi Darcy,
Glad you ended up enjoying your internship! Same as me i am glad to ahve some extra time now that i have finished since i am a busy girl too.
I am glad that i am not the only one that had to learn the lesson of attention to detail and to make material interesting to read. I found that you are more likely to have people read your comment or have media release published if it is interesting and eye catching. As much as they try to drill that into you throughout the degree you dont notice the importance until you are in the field.
Good luck for the future :)
Samantha
Hi Darcy
Happy to hear you enjoyed your internship despite the fact that the environment was not for you.
I 100% agree that you need to focus on the tiniest details when working in communications, ultimately these are the things that set you apart from other professionals. Likewise you have to remember who your audience is and try to still make the materials interesting no matter how boring the subject matter is. After all that is our role as communication practioners to produce material that people want to read
Goodluck in Melbourne.
All the best for the future
Bri
Hey Darcy!
Glad to hear you got lots out of your internship!
Definately agree with you in the sense that PR is a field where you have to pay close attention to detail. I nearly found this out the hard way after skimming through a media release I had written. Luckily I double checked my work and found a hidden error or two.
Hope Melbourne works out well for you!
Kirsty
Post a Comment