Thursday, November 7, 2013

Being a PR Consultant: Should I?

Having just past the half way mark of my internship, it started to occur to me that whilst both challenging and fast paced, consultancy work can lack the familiarity of an in-house PR department. Having worked in such a capacity previously, I had some idea of what to benchmark it against – yet I couldn't quiet decide which I enjoyed better.

It’s an old argument when it comes to choosing between in-house or external (i.e. agency) when building your PR career. There are definite pros and cons for each; check out this article from Ragan PR which explores the “5 Major differences between Agency and inhouse PR” http://bit.ly/UW9Jmj – is a worthwhile read. In my mind however, I looked to see which type of PR helped me grow more as a practitioner.


In this regard, consultancy was the clear winner  you’re surrounded by a team of experienced workers, most of whom are willing and able to share with you insights based on their own working history. You really can’t beat that type of on-the-job education.

However.

Consultancy means that you’ll often need to work with clients who’s products or industries are far removed from your own interests, knowledge or even care-factor; I am by no means suggesting that these companies are not worthy of your consideration, however they would unlikely be your first pick (when it came to looking for an internal PR role).

Choosing a career in the PR department of an organisation generally means you have the ability to select any industry or business in which you enjoy work or have a significant level of interest. If you are someone who benefits from a constant working environment, a tired and tested set of processes and a more in-depth knowledge of ‘the client,’ then I wager a guess that consultancy is not your best pick.


When pondering these options, I realised that part of the beauty of consultancy work in dealing with the unkown; whilst I may not be an expert oin dust, dirt or debris, if the client required me to be one – I’d soon find a way. Plus I’d likely leave the project more aware and educated them when I first started. 

Internship Golden Rule No. 3 – Don't turn a job down just because you're not interested in the subject matter. You never know until you've tried it!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

insightful!

Anonymous said...

Great Post!
In-house is familiar- you know what to expect each day, whilst as you say, a consultancy means diversity, a range of clients. As I end my time in a consultancy, I fully appreciate the ability to grow, however, I do agree with you in terms of clients/ projects sometimes being far removed from our interests. I guess sometimes the challenge is being professional and getting the best job done regardless of if we like it or not. Just like we must eat those veggies when we are kids :)