Friday, November 1, 2013

Curtain Call

This journey that began a few months ago has come to an end. I’ve really enjoyed my time with the Department of Transport and it has enabled me to gain access to an important aspect of how our city is forecasted to deal with such rapid growth in the near future. By working for an organisation within the government sector I was given the opportunity to work across different areas which kept the experience interesting and helped me, not only broaden my public relations knowledge, but also helped me develop an interest in perhaps pursuing other areas of work.

I feel as though my entire course has helped me develop a better understanding of what pr is and this unit enabled me to get hands on knowledge and experience that has provided invaluable knowledge to me. Practical work has such a more significant impact on me than theory work. Because I’ve properly experienced something, I’m impacted in a way that makes me remember things learnt much better on the job rather than just talking about it in a classroom.

The biggest highlight I took out of my time at DoT was the ability to contribute and help out within a system I use constantly. Without our transport services I would not be able to get from A to B and being able to contribute and watch as people discussed ways in improving it was really great for me to experience.

What made this internship even better for me was seeing what I had been taught for the last three years actually applies within the industry. It would have been really discouraging if the principles and techniques I was taught were not actually part of what happens within the industry. Communication is the key, as has been conveyed to us as students from pretty much day one and the ability to create free flowing communication that allows for feedback on how to improve any public relations strategies is a vital aspect to the industry.

2 comments:

CaitlinSwarts said...

Hi Aemero,

Like you, i did my placement at a government organisation. I found it so insightful and a great basis to start my PR career. One thing initially I found hard to adapt to was the many rules, regulations, approval processes and style guides which needed to be adhered to.

I was similar to you in that fact that working in a government body has triggered my interest in the industry. Before doing my placement i never would have thought government sectors were for me. Now that would be my ideal job position.

I hope you learnt some great skills while being in such learning role.

Caitlin

Unknown said...

Hi Aemero,

Working with the Department of Transport to create a brighter and better future transport for Perth seems like a terrific working experience. I did not had my internship in a government sector, although I experienced the same thing with you in terms of knowledge gain. I guess when doing placements we are expected to explore and expand our public relations skills as well as learning other areas.

I hope your internship placement went well! All the best.

-angela dj