*Mind the pun, I do mean colossal.
When I first entered the office of Colosoul Group Inc, the
brain-child of Tricia “Trish” Ray, I didn’t know what to make of the group of
20 people crowded into the room with eager faces. I nestled into a chair of my
own up very the front as my face morphed to mimic the group of other potential
volunteers. Trish opened by discussing
the company, and the mission she has endeavoured towards since it was first
established.
Colosoul Group has an somewhat unusual internal working,
which in my eyes seems to work to benefit the productivity of Colosoul, as there is a strong sense of team work and co-operation between departments in order to get work done by people who are
passionate about the projects. This is as opposed to forcing people into a role
they wont enjoy and end up putting little effort into – which I’m sure we are
all guilty of in those first few jobs, the ones we needed as stepping stones
into desirable employment.
Colosoul has ongoing, permanent projects that include 8
publications, all for different demographics and to help promote awareness and
gain charity for other not-for-profits such as Extinction Sucks, FTP, PMH and
the Esther Foundation. While people where
allocated roles for particular publications (print and online magazines), they
also have departments dedicated to particular focuses such as film, fashion,
design, journalism, human relations, public relations and more! I found the
harmony in the spread of people and relaxed nature of Colosoul – motivational
messages line the walls of the small office, and it is a very close-knit
environment. With people available as “general” Colosoul staff who have
different specialties, we are encouraged to seek out the help of others by the
means of a Colosoul Facebook Group, or just face-to-face to see who is
interested in helping with projects here and there.
Having already spoken with Venus the company director, the
publication I was handed the reigns to was Greta Photo Book, which has a
message to promote awareness and to erase the stigma regarding Mental Health –
which is a cause I couldn’t have been happier to be involved with. It also aims
to help photographers Australia wide (starting locally) to have a chance at
being published and getting their name out there – which also gives the
publication a theme. Overjoyed, but overwhelmed I took in the news, excited for
this new stage in my life while feeling butterflies in my stomach at the idea
of taking on a virtually abandoned publication by myself.
I had a lot of brainstorming to do, a lot of phone calls to
make, and Mental Health Week fast approaching. Given the cause, this seemed
like a fantastic opportunity to re-invigorate Greta with an exhibition.
Unfortunately with only two weeks to plan and put together it was time to say
good-bye to my friends and hello to technology, as I research; plan; call;
email; beg; and organise. My new friends are my phone, the Greta facebook
account which I hastily revamped (**picture below), and email.
![]() |
| **Greta Photo Book Facebook www.facebook.com/gretaphotobook |
I cannot wait to let you know how this unfolds!
Until then,
Imogen Clark
Curtin Bentley Campus

No comments:
Post a Comment