Thursday, February 27, 2014

After all the stress trying to find a placement... It ends so quickly

Hello there,

I cannot believe it but I have now finished formal work at West Australian Ballet for the Curtin University's PR internship unit! I feel I have accomplished a lot over the past 11 weeks.

I had such a fantastic time with this company and I highly recommend interning with WAB. The staff are professional, passionate, focused and hard working yet friendly and extremely helpful.

Although I have officially finished my 20 days I am still in contact with the pr marketing team and I have been asked to help at some ballet events in the near future.

I was apprehensive to commence the internship unit but having overcome this first step into the professional world I have become more confident in my abilities. I  now know which techniques and skills I am competent in and understand which areas require work.  I displayed professionalism, organisational qualities, timeliness, a strong work ethic and an enthusiasm for knowledge of public relations and communications. An area I am sure that I need to focus on is research. I felt at times I was unsure of facts when I was writing which limited my creative thinking. Ballet is an art form with a great deal of technical and historical content. Although I believe I wrote well and my media releases, website copy, Ballet News articles and other content were succinct and sufficient, I believe with more knowledge of the subject matter I could have been more creative and more confident in my writing.

Is PR for me?
Yes I think so. The internship unit has inspired me and has encouraged me to take a more proactive approach to graduation and to think about the next steps I have to take to begin my career as a public relations professional. I have started looking for full time work as a result of the internship unit and feel more confident moving into industry.

Where will my journey lead now?
A public relations degree can lead to infinite possibilities.  Who knows where we will be or what we will be doing in ten years, but I am sure that the skills learned from this course will be extremely useful.


Good luck to everyone starting their internship! Enjoy the wonderful experience.

:)

Thanks for reading,

Eve Milner

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Eve,

Congratulations on finishing your internship. I have followed all your blog posts and it seems like you had a great opportunity to learn with real life experiences. It's smart to keep in contact with the PR and Marketing team so if they ever have any jobs arise you are in with a chance.

Good-luck with the rest of your study.

Gabby Spadaro

Diane Too said...

Hello Eva, your internship in the arts field should be a load of fun and not to mention, hard work. My internship was slightly skewed toward the marketing side of PR as well, but it was very insightful, observing its interdependent relationship between these two fields. Hope your have ended up on the PR line, instead of marketing, and that you're constantly learning and gaining new skills for personal development.