Sunday, March 30, 2014

Fireworks, Fireworks and more Fireworks!




January was by far the busiest month I have experienced at my internship. I was fortunate enough to be involved in the developed and implementation of the communication plan for a new app, which was released for the Skyworks event in Perth.
 
After the Christmas break I was ready to get straight back into it all. January was full on, but in a great way. I got to experience first hand the process, development and implementation of a ‘quick’ communications plan, where we had little time – 18 days to be exact.  

The goal: To raise awareness about our company’s involvement in the development of a new and informative app developed for a major Skyworks event in Perth.

The app was developed to provide a smart and informative service, allowing users to tap and plan their day at the Skyworks event. The app allowed users to easily navigate around the mobile app, with features including public transport information, road closures, parking information, first aid locations, BYO zones, the best vantage points, radio simulcasts, event program information and specific event locations.



Thrown in the deep end, everything was go, go, go with various aspects of this plan needing to be done yesterday. I needed to draw on my knowledge from media relations in developing a comprehensive media contact list and media kit. The communication plan focused heavily on the development of media kits to be pushed out, content for social media channels and video production including script writing for an online video.

We had two and a half weeks to develop the content and implement these tactics across the various communication channels. I was excited to be involved with it all; however there was a lot of work to be done.  

By this point I had develop multiple media releases so I was feeling good about getting into developing this one. I was responsible for creating the media kit, a brief strategic social media plan, draft content for the social media channels, following up media outlets to ensure they had received our media kits and I also the development of a video script for a two-minute online video promoting the app. 

The media kit ended up getting picked up by the The Voice newspaper and I was so excited when I realised the video script I draft for the short two minute promotioanl video was used, please see the video added in below. 



It was challenging to get it all done in the short period of time we had, but we managed to bring it all together, resulting in a positive outcome. This was a great opportunity for me to see a communication plan developed and implemented in such a short period time. I was fortunate to play a key role in the development of the media kit, writing the video script and developing the social media plan. This was a great experience for me as an individual and I really valued the trust my supervisors placed in me to assist in seeing this communications plan through to fruition.

Until next time.

Brooke

5 comments:

Sandra Copic said...

Sounds like your having an awesome and busy time at your internship. I would have loved to have been involved in something like that.

Enjoy the rest of your placement.

watch_her_watch said...

Sounds like a really challenging and fun task you got to complete. Very interesting reading all the different tasks that student's receive and your post on creating an application for the sky show was a very interesting read! Well done :)

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

It sounds like you have secured a fantastic internship placement, Brooke. The tasks that you have been able to work on sound like they would provide great insight and experience into the professional side of PR. I look forward to reading your future posts!

Katherine Norman said...

This sounds like a great internship! You're incredibly lucky to have gained such valuable experience. Good luck with the rest of your placement.