Thursday, March 6, 2014

First Day Worries Conquered!

It’s week one of semester one 2014, and I couldn’t think of a better way to kick off the semester than with my first PR393 reflective blog.

I have now reached day 13 of my of internship and I think it’s about time I hit the blogosphere to share some of my experiences thus far. So lets take it back to my first day on the job.

I am undertaking my internship with a digital agency and technology company based in the Perth CBD.  The company is active in digital development, software development and design, web development, app development, data analytics and communications. I was really excited to join this diverse, hip and innovative company.

I have to admit, the drive into the city on my first day was a little daunting, I think it was 'the not knowing what to expect' which my nerves running on overdrive. I remember thinking on the drive into the city on my first day, “I hope I'm not asked to create a media release.” It was probably my biggest worry about my first day, that when put on the spot in an industry environment, I would take too long to either develop the media release or that my work wouldn’t be the standard required. 

Within an hour of arriving, my biggest worry was presented in front of me; I was asked to develop a media release for a new and innovative app that had just been developed for a local government client during the festive season. 

My brief was to find the news angle and develop a media release focusing on the innovative technology in mobile apps and the key features the app had to offer, such as augmented reality and encouraging community engagement. I sat down at my desk and started going over all the information provided, gathering information I thought was relevant based on the brief I was given and then I started drafting. 

I have to admit, once I got started I realised I knew a lot more than I gave myself credit for. I completed the media release in a few hours and I ended up receiving great feedback, which gave me so much more confidence in my writing ability to put together a quality media release.  

I took the opportunity to gain feedback from my supervisors, identifying what they were happy with and the areas I could improve for next time.

Looking back, I think the best part of my first day was actually the area I was most worried about. Being thrown in the deep end showed me that I was more prepared than what I thought, which has provided me with so much more confidence in the work I have completed since, including other media releases I have written since.

Until next time,


Brooke.  

4 comments:

Sandra Copic said...

Wow your placement sounds like a lot of fun! Seems like a great place to gain further knowledge of PR in a real life corporation. Enjoy the rest of your placement!

Sandra

steaf twomey said...

Hi Brooke,
I really enjoyed reading your post and I had a very similar experience with my first day. I was worried I would no be up to the standard expected in the workplace. Like you though, once I did my first piece of work and received feedback I felt a lot more confident. I think that half the battle is having the confidence just to go for it and find out what your strengths and weaknesses are. In my experience so far I found the more you do the more you understand the expectations for the task you are assigned and the more you can hone your skills.
It sound like your placement has a really interesting array of things to work on and experience. I think that having interesting topics makes the work a lot easier when it sparks your interest.

Enjoy the rest of your placement

Steaf

steaf twomey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
steaf twomey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.