Thursday, March 20, 2014

Here we go.. media releases, media releases and more media releases!

Finally the time has come for me to put the past few years of study into practice.
Like everyone, my big question is 'do I want to work in a consultancy or in-house?'. And while after thinking about this over the summer break and coming to the conclusion that consultancy is where I want to make a career, I have somehow ended up interning for a government organisation in the communications department. At the end of the day I am happy to be getting experience anywhere, and i thought that I may as well give this my all and perhaps my opinion of in-house v consultancy will change by the end of my placement.

Day one of my government communications placement didn't start off too well. Let's just say public transport and me do not get along. When I finally arrived (after getting on many wrong train lines) i had to do the typical HR stuff, inductions and meetings and greetings. What surprised me straight away was how many males there are in this particular department. Very different from the rare one or two in my PR classes at uni!

Soon after I arrived I was able to sit in on my first ever communications meeting, where everyone from the different communications areas (PR, graphic design, internal comms, etc) discusses their tasks and plans for the week. I loved hearing about all of the different aspects of the communications department and am excited to be able to learn from everyone and hopefully dabble in each area.

The remainder of my first day was spent writing media releases, which is probably my least favourite part of PR. But experience is experience, and I can already tell that after this internship I will be able to write media releases in my sleep! It was interesting to see how different my supervisor writes her media releases compared to how I have been taught over the past few years. I will have to adjust my style to suit hers, which has made me realise that that will probably be the case for anywhere that I eventually work. Word to the wise: always ask for examples of previous media releases from your supervisor so that you can try to structure yours similarly.

I am looking forward to seeing where this internship takes me, and I hope that I will be able to come away from it with experience from many different areas of communications.

Until next time.

Lana
14848265


*side-note.. I actually published this post 18th feb but apparently in the wrong place.. oops! Have now copied and pasted

No comments: