Friday, April 18, 2014

Guess who is a finalist in the Community Services Excellence Awards 2014?


Angelhands Inc. has been nominated for the Community Services Excellence Awards 2014 and has been selected as a finalist in the Volunteer Based Category. The event is an alliance between the Department of Local Government Communities and the WA Council of Social Service. The awards is held once in every two years. Here is a media statement from the government on the awards:  Government Media Statement .

A midst our crazy time planning the launch of our new fundraising campaign, this announcement has made our hard work seem like it is all worth it. In my previous post I emphasized how much in need of funding we were. If we are to win this award it would give us a much needed boost to our finances. Apart from the possible enhancement in the financial area, the awards has brought more awareness to our organization and the work that we do and my supervisor has said that, “any recognition that serves to raise awareness around the work of angelhands and the unique needs of people affected by crime in our society is truly appreciated.” Which is very true, the more awareness we gain the more our work is recognized by the public.

Seeing that angelhands was mentioned in the media statement from the government website I've decided to cash in on it. I worked on a media release for my supervisor to send out to her media contacts and surprised myself and my supervisor by producing one within 30 minutes. I never thought that I would be able to write one up in that span of time. I guess all that practice from my PR Techniques class has finally paid off and i couldn't be anymore prouder of myself.

There has also been an update and a slight change on our fundraising campaign 100K in 100 Days, upon further discussion with the board; my supervisor, the angelhand’s Director has decided that 100 thousand dollars is slightly beyond what we can reach and that 50 thousand is a more attainable target amount. Especially seeing that funding is needed immediately within a short amount of time. So now we are working towards the 50K in 50 Days campaign which is essentially due to be launched in the month of May. The campaign is well under way and I have been working closely with my supervisor and past year examples to help guide me in this journey. This is all very exciting, not wanting to sound like a cliché but I have just once again been reminded of the reasons as to why I fell in love with PR in the first place.

Till Later,

Anastasia Arasu
15483214
Bentley Campus

No comments: