Friday, May 23, 2014

Building relationship with media friends

Hello Everyone!

This is my third post, which means my internship journey is nearing to the end.

Today I'll be sharing my thoughts on building strong relationship with our dear media friends. The media circle in Singapore is very small due to the limited number of local publishing house. You could even count the number of publishers with both hands!

With a small media circle, it is important to have media friends on "our side". Here are some observations that I have concluded on building good relationship with media.

  • Make an effort to find out what type of story angels the media is looking for. It would be easier to fit in their shoes if news given are timely and appropriate for their magazine/newspaper column. 
  • Apart from work, go the extra mile to mingle with media friends. When a common interest is found, a good rapport will be established
  • With that, it makes negotiation easier, should there be tight timeline to rush or last minute changes given by the client. 
  • The best part of having a close relationship would be the entitlement to their personal mobile number. This means that you do not have to get through the main line, which is often engaged.
Apart from the local media, it is also important to keep a good relationship with influencers. I'm speaking in the context of lifestyle products. In Singapore, Instagram and Facebook are two of the most popular social media tool. 

Therefore, to penetrate into the crowd, we often touch base with lifestyle influencers to share new products to their avid followers either via Facebook or Instagram. This is typically known to attract the younger age group varying from 17 - 28 years old. 

So much on bridging good retaliation shop paths it seems that a good PR practitioner requires a wide connection of media friends and reputable influencers. 

On a fun note, the crew from Channel News Asia popped by my office this week for a short filming session! My boss had agreed to an interview about companies that are open to flexible working hours during the World Cup period. This is to accommodate football fanatics that are up at the wee hours to catch the match.  It was an interesting role reversal as my boss used to be off screen prompting clients with their scripts instead of being filmed.



Overall, it was an interesting experience for me albeit participating in the background. I have also used this opportunity to extend my connection with the reporter and hopefully in time, this connection will come in handy. 

And by the way, I'm rooting for Germany this coming World Cup, what's yours?

Till then, 
Candice

5 comments:

Sheryl Tong said...

Sounds like a fun and interesting day in the office! I agree with you about creating and having a good relationship with the media. I too find that it is important to build a good relationship with them and understand the type of angles and stories they are looking for.
So, is your boss open to flexible working hours during the world cup and do you get that privilege too? (;

Brooke Dawson said...

Hi Candice,
I really enjoyed reading about your experience in building media relationships, specifically gaining an insight into media landscape in Singapore. It’s great that you have been able to begin building relationships with media persons and in particular the report you mentioned. While undertaking my internship here in Perth, I had a similar experience where I developed a media contact list and was responsible for developing and building relationship with some of the key media outlets across the Perth metropolitan area. I hope you enjoy the rest of your internship!!
Kind Regards
Brooke

Candice Goh said...

Hi Sheryl! Thanks for your comment. My boss is very flexible towards working hours. We are allowed to work from home or come in later in the day, as long as work quality and efficiency is not affected. I heard that she might be interested in purchasing cable TV to be installed in our office. Keeping our fingers crossed on that, hopefully we get a World Cup party soon!

Hi Brooke, thanks for your comment! Your internship sounds fun too! I think this is a very good opportunity to expand our connections with the media. Enjoy the rest of your internship too!

Pear ♥ said...

Hi Candice,

To successfully build connections and achieve a good relationship would the media would definitely take quite a bit of time to get closer to them!

But by having them to interview your boss, I guess it's a good chance to seal the relationship! It must have also been an eye-opening experience on your side! Thank you so much for sharing!! :)

Unknown said...

Hi Candice

Thank you for the "tips" in building good relationships with the media.I have to agree with Sherrill,by agreeing to do the interview, your boss has "secured" a favorable relationship..and I would LOVE to work with your company during the world cup!!!!!! and as long as work quality isn't compromised, i salute them embracing flexibility in the office

Lots of Love (LOL),
Hafeez.J