Monday, May 19, 2014

Perth International Airport and V8s



Working with the RAC you realise that you need a department for each service a company offers- when you are a large company like the RAC.

I have been privileged in working with various departments, one which I got to go visit firsthand would be the office located at the Perth international airport; this is where they have the driving centre and V8 Hotlaps.  You would think working so close to the airport that you would be experiencing earthquake shakes and plane noises every minute- wrong, I felt nothing, which was odd.

Anna works from there at least once a week, and so this was why I was able to go there for the day. It was a much smaller office than the one in Joondalup and West Perth, but it was cosy and the people there were so lovely. I had a tour; got to go outside where the tracks are and inside the office. 

On this day I was determined to finalize the report for the competitors analysis, and I did finish it. I was then given the second task to do, this was another competitors analysis, however, on the Driving centre as one hasn’t been done for it before- this was interesting and wasn’t as complex as the first one as this was based on what national and international competitors were offering. I was able to have half of it done before the end of business day. 

Within the time I was there, I forgot my lunch, so I decided to go get a kebab- needless to say, the owner of the kebab shop was my brothers close friend, so I got the kebab at a special price, haha. 

The day went by pretty fast, the general manager for the driving centre was really keen on me to return back, as I am a Public Relations student he wanted me to be apart of the new transition of the name from Driving Centre to DTEC, he also wanted me to put me into a V8 car and do some laps- I agreed this is a nervous yes. I also agreed to be apart of the transition, but it was up to Chloe and Anna who are in charge of my antennary to sort out the best time to comeback- he pretty much told Anna to shuffle things around to make it work for the following week. 
However, unfortunately that night I had received a letter advising me that my surgery appointment was for the following Thursday, one I had to adhere to as it was important. So the following day I told Anna- We will be working towards making it happen another day when I have recovered. 

The day after this, I was in West Perth, I ended up after lunch being alone as Chloe went home sick and Danielle had to go to Joondalup for a meeting. This was interesting, I was in West Perth pretty much alone as I didn’t know anyone too well, so I stayed on my desk working on the projects given, however I was in continuous contact with Anna via email. I was given the responsibility to rewrite 28 letters RAC sends out to their members, these included; New membership, upgrades, lapsed and unpaid memberships etc. As RAC has undergone a rebrand, the tone of voice they wish to bring across had to be active. These included things such as instead of using ‘enquiry’ I would use ‘question’, ‘contact us’ I would use ‘phone us’, and so forth. This way we don’t sound so direct and use words people may not understand. So far in one afternoon I have completed six- not as easy as one my think. 

I also was given the job by Anna to get permission from a member who wrote in a complement towards an employee to use on the RAC website. I  phoned thanking her for the sweet letter and asked whether she would allow us to publish it on our website. She agreed to the idea and so I sent out a testimonial release form via post for her to fill out and to send back at her convenience.

It is safe to say that this week was one of a kind; different atmosphere for both days as I was in a different office and kept alone for the afternoon. Let us see what is next in store J

No comments: