Thursday, June 19, 2014

A jack of all trades



PR professionals must be a jack of all trades. Working in the industry you are expected to learn new programs and stay on top of the latest developments in the industry. One day you’ll be organizing an event, the next designing a new website and the day after that hosting a press conference. You never know what a day will throw up at you in this profession, which is why you must be able to think on your feet, be creativity and be organised.


I came to Fremantle Press with a basic set of software skills. I could use word and powerpoint and I was a wiz at Facebook, but that was about it. But what I lacked in expertise, I made up for with a willingness to learn and the ability to pick up new skills quickly. So now I have mastered InDesign, Hootsuite, Campaign Monitor, Wordpress and even the company website.



Working in PR also means paying very close attention to detail. Sending out a press release with typos, grammatical  errors or the wrong information is a big no-no. This week my project was the monthly enewsletter and before it was sent to all our subscribers and posted on our website, it was proofed numerous times by different staff.



If you’re interested in reading a couple of my stories click the links.







Working in PR is exciting and challenging because there is so much uncertainty about what each day will involve. But if you can handle the pressure, have a thick skin, a willingness to learn and a positive attitude, then this is the profession for you.



Verity

No comments: