Time flies and 12 weeks have passed so quickly, it is already the end of my internship. I had my appraisal done two days back, and I'm feeling happy that I've gotten over and done with this phase! :)
Well, so on the last week of my internship I had the opportunity to attend client meetings, attend events with my boss and because we have Hotel Clover as one of our clients, I manage to experience how media tours are being carried out. It was a super packed but fun-filled week!
But for my entry today, I'm going to talk about 'Media Drop' for Nederburg Wines. Initially, I wasn't familiar with this term, but after talking to my colleagues, media drop is basically delivering media kits to various media outlets. We would usually do a media drop, if there are products that require the journalist or editor to 'try' or 'experience'.
In our media kit, we included two bottles of wine from Nederburg and a folder consisting of press releases. By doing a media drop, journalist or editors of various publications would be able to personally taste the wines and publish a better story for us. It is also a lot more sincere and effective as compared to just sending them the press release via email.
Hence, the process of shortlisting the publications to do a media drop has to be done strategically. We would target bigger and more established titles, because putting our client's interest at stake, we definitely want them to be featured in big titles.
I assisted in packing the media kits and labeling, ensuring it looks professional! It was a lot of fun packing the media kits because for a moment, I felt like santa claus delivering gifts to people. I thought I would be able to meet the journalists in person, but I had to leave the media kits at the reception and they would have staff to deliver the media kits.
It would be great if I could meet the journalist personally, because that would mean I'll be able to pitch story ideas to him/her, increasing the likelihood of getting coverage for our client. It was still a great experience overall.
---
So after this 12 weeks, I guess the big question is 'Is Public Relations for me?' At this moment in time, I would say - Yes! I do enjoy myself quite a bit during this 12 weeks, though there are ups and downs, but I have indeed learnt a lot and it does trigger my curiosity to find out more!!
As I'm still considered new in this industry, I would love to explore further and learn along the way. I hope everyone who is also doing their internship would feel this way as well! If it's otherwise, I'm pretty sure everyone have also gained many valuable experiences throughout this 12 weeks! Well, I would like to wish everyone all the best in their future endeavours, despite of which industry we are intending to venture! :)
Thanks for reading!

2 comments:
Hi Sherrill! Thanks for sharing your internship journey with us. I've personally went for media drop once, and met similar situations. Which comes to point where I wonder if media drops are necessary? Innovative media drops definitely catches the eye of the journalist/ editor. However, ultimately, it boils down to the press release content/ story angle. No doubt it enhances the experience for media, but should only be done tastefully and depending on its relevancy. Just a penny of my thoughts!
Congrats on completing your internship! :)
Hello Sherrill!
Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed reading your post on media drop. I too had an opportunity to do a media drop once, and it seems like we all faced the same situations and routine! i personally had to pack the media kits as well as heading down to drop them off to the journalist. Unfortunately, I didn't get to meet and interact with them either. I believe we will have our chances in the future!
Cheers,
Sheryl
Post a Comment