Update! I’m now well into my internship and
am finally getting a good idea of what Dine for Life is all about. Knowing the
core ideas, values and purpose of the organisation is very important in public
relations. Working in non-for-profit also poses some challenges but is also immensely
rewarding.
The past few weeks I have been putting my
gift bag pitch into practice, which has been daunting, terrifying but very
satisfying. After practicing reading and saying the pitch to fellow co-workers,
I made my first phone call to a local brand I thought would be appropriate for
Dine for Life’s goodie bags whilst also be open to the idea of donating 250
individual products to a charity. I tried to be as confident as possible but
quickly became nervous when the company began asking questions I wasn’t sure I
knew the answers to. Knowing exactly what your organisation needs, why they
need it and what we can offer the contributing company was essential to
securing a sponsor.
After modifying and correcting my pitch I
continued with phone calls. Because Dine for Life is 100% non-for-profit,
meaning everyone is a volunteer and we cannot offer any money to our sponsors,
the work can be quite difficult as you do not hold much power, when
establishing relationships. After several bad responses, begging and pleading
for sponsorship can be quite disappointing. Then finally success! After much
persistence and pitching the ‘yes’’ started to roll in. My fellow events intern
Sonja and I acquired five gift bag sponsors for Perth and six for the Melbourne
event which we are also working on. The products are local, gourmet and artisan
foods that align with Dine for Life’s purpose and mission.
When pitching to these sponsors, I had to
explain what we could offer their company in terms of public relations benefits.
I stated that each organisation had the opportunity to showcase their product
to a wide demographic including; the
hospitality industry; corporates; top chefs from 10 of Melbourne’s most
prestigious restaurants; a number of media personalities as well as the general
public. I also said that Dine for Life is a well-recognised charity across
Australia and their brand will gain exposure through print and social media.
So far acquiring
sponsorship has been both daunting and very rewarding. I have learnt that it is
very important to knowing the core ideas, values and
purpose of an organisation and that working for a non-for-profit can be
difficult as you have little leverage and not a lot to offer.
Until next time,
Siobhan Herne
16153123
3 comments:
Hi Siobhan,
Thanks for sharing a very honest and candid post of your first phone pitching experience! I guess this is what we have to go through during the phase of internship. This is a great opportunity for us to and step out of our comfort zone. I remember having jitters during my first phone pitch. The jitters never really left me, but with more practices, I have learnt to think ahead of time so that I would not be dumbfounded should a question be prompted by the media. Good luck with the rest of your internship journey!
Cheers,
Candice
Hi Siobhan
What a great insight into the PR struggles of a non-for-profit!
You may be surprised to know that I experienced similar challenges interning for a government department. As you would be aware the majority of government funding comes from peoples taxes and therefore its allocation is made with this very much in mind.
In my case this meant that finding an engaging, interesting and high profile speaker at no cost for an executive and senior managers forum was a hard task to complete!
After I thought I had exhausted all options I was finally granted my wish after contacting a supplier who worked with just the person!
We secured an ED from Bankwest who was an experienced speaker in customer service (the perfect topic. I couldn't believe my luck.
It's stories like ours that make me realise perseverance is the key!
All the best.
J
Hi Siobhan,
Thank you for sharing your own experience on the process of phone pitching a proposal.
Pitching a proposal through phone call is something I haven't really mastered yet. I find your post really helpful in getting some useful tips.
Kind regards,
Rhea
Post a Comment