PR. We always relate PR with exciting events, great exposures and making new contacts with various people whether it is the media, corporate members, or even celebrities. Although all of these are true but they are not all of the PR industry.
As I am now in the third week of my internship in Kota Kinabalu City Hall (KKCH), I can say that besides doing on the spot PR tasks such as keeping in touch with the media during events, there are also other "behind the scenes" jobs that were given to me and I find it equally important if not more. This is because preparation and planning is vital for the success of an event. What I learned in PR units in semesters before suddenly makes so much sense.
KKCH organised many events across the city, may it be social events or official governmental events. This is why we always have a few meetings lined up throughout the day. At first, I find it a bit overwhelming to go through meetings daily (although I only present when I am given the chance to) but after a while I understand meetings make things clearer between everyone who is working for the event, making sure that the event runs smooth and successful.
Paperwork is also important for PR and often is the key to successful communication and event. May it be the media invitation letter, budget list, program list or person in charge and their responsibilities. Although this sounds like a lot of work but they are essential for PR in events.
Though paperwork and meetings are hard work but preparation and planning is the key to make that significant event we had in mind into reality.
Hope everyone will have a great week ahead with their internships.
Until the next post,
Easter Lee Siau Ching
1 comment:
Hi Easter,
I agreed with you that preparation and planning are really important for the success of an event. However, during my internship placement at Homes Property Management, we initially planned to organize a property investment seminar. But we failed to do so because one of the speakers suddenly decided to pull out, which has caused the event to be cancelled. Even though we had planned everything well before the seminar, unexpected things still happened. Sometimes, things would not go as planned, I think this is what I have learnt from this experience.
By the way, I am so glad that your company is doing well in everything. You have done a great job!
Post a Comment