I just reached over the halfway mark in my internship at the Department of Sport and Recreation and have been learning so much more since my last blog entry, particularly in relation to writing.
One of the DSR's biggest events, the Sport and Recreation Industry Awards, happened recently and I have been spending some time assisting with the preparation for the event, including creating PowerPoint presentations, setting up, helping with the participation certificates etc. The event itself was absolutely beautiful as it was a breakfast event held at Kings Park with stunning views! I also learnt a bit more about media relations here. DSR invited the media to this event just so the media could enjoy it as one of the guests-they didn't invite the media as an opportunity to be featured in the press. This helps strengthen the relationship between DSR and the media.
(Full house at the Sport and Recreation Industry Awards)
(View from the venue at the Sport and Recreation Industry Awards)
I have also been attending the weekly team review meetings, which is a relaxed gathering where each member updates the rest of the team on the tasks they have for the week. This can vary from the utilisation of social media to new events to media campaigns to new videos.
One of the newest tasks I have been given is interviewing and writing stories for The Chronicle. The Chronicle is a state-wide newsletter about Aboriginal sport and recreation activities throughout Western Australia. I absolutely love this task, as I get to hear first-hand about how sport and active recreation is greatly benefitting the community. I was very lucky to interview the mother of an amazing young WA softball player, and the mother was very happy to hear that we would be doing a story on her daughter's wonderful accomplishments.
I cannot wait to see what the second-half of this internship will bring me. Till next time!
Michelle


3 comments:
Hi Michelle, thank you for sharing your blog and experience with us. My name is Annabelle, I am majoring in PR as well. I started my internship since June, however I am enjoying very much so. It's so lucky that you can have chance to interview with people to get firsthand information. Wow! I am doing my internship at whiskey distillery, the first whiskey distillery in Perth. It likes what you did, I wrote few media releases for opening, but writing media release is my weak point. I hope it is going to improve my writing in the future!
Hi Michelle
I too love how my supervisor goes over my media releases with me, it allows me to understand where I went wrong, what I did well and overall what I can do better for next time!
Thats amazing to hear that you are interviewing and writing stories for The Chronicle. I was able to prepare and conduct an interview for a Pro Bono project Cannings Purple is working on. At first I was nervous however after a couple of questions, the conversation followed well and questions were easily asked based on what she had previously said.
Can't wait to hear what else your internship has to offer you!
Rebecca Uglow
16177767
Curtin Bentley
Hi Annabelle and Rebecca,
Thank you so much for your comments.
Annabelle-I am sure with practice, our media release writings will definitely improve!
Rebecca-I went through the same experience too as I was extremely nervous at first but it gradually got better and I was a bit more confident by the end of it.
Hope everything went well in your internships and all the best for the final report!
Thank you,
Michelle Tran
15072735
Post a Comment