Saturday, August 23, 2014

Learning about myself

Hi everyone.

If there is one noticeable accomplishment I have felt from completing my internship, it has to be the fact that I am now more aware of myself than ever before. Prior to commencing my work with my in-house PR and marketing team at my chosen company*, I had only ever worked in the retail and hospitality industries. The level of professionalism required in these areas of work is completely different to the level necessary for an intern working in a big office. However, I found it surprisingly easy to adjust my behaviour and mannerisms accordingly. On that note, I found the entire transition into the marketing/PR work field to be quite smooth overall.



I feel as though the way marketing and PR professionals present themselves is greatly inspiring. I have learnt that no matter how much work there is to be done, or how much stress a person might be feeling – acting professional is crucial. Whether it be making phone calls on behalf of the company or writing a 5000 word report, staying confident and calm is always a valuable skill to have.

Although I have only been interning for a short period of time, I believe I have developed new character traits that will prove to be beneficial throughout my career in public relations. For example, I have learnt to act self-assured and confident when talking to new people for the first time. By doing so, a sense of trust is developed and the confidence tends to be reciprocated. This is a lot easier said than done, but nevertheless worth a try. So for this post, the advice I would like to pass on to my peers is to always remain calm and confident when presented with a task– even if you have to fake it til you make it.

One of the struggles I did initially face whilst transitioning into my intern role was knowing when to ask questions. There is a fine line between pestering your busy boss and wanting to learn. Specifically on my first few days in the office, I had a small feeling I was asking too many questions. When I came to the realisation that I probably was, I decided I needed to solve the problems I was experiencing by myself. Although this was stressful and frustrating at first, once I had solved them I felt a good sense of accomplishment.

This week during my internship I also had the opportunity to sit down and talk to the new head of marketing, aka my new boss. Whilst I was quite nervous as she quizzed me about my goals and aims for the future, I found the conversation to be greatly motivating and inspirational. I learnt that my new boss has been working in the PR/marketing field for many years with some of WA’s biggest companies and has been extremely successful throughout her career. Talking with her made me realise that I would like to move up on the career ladder and slowly make my way to a senior position. I know this seems like quite an ambitious goal, but hey an intern can dream!

Enjoy your day and thanks for reading J

- Sarah


* Please note due to a confidentiality agreement I am unable to publish the company’s name

No comments: