Monday, August 11, 2014

Making the right decision

Hello fellow internship students J

Firstly I feel I have to say the idea of this internship unit really worried me initially. I didn’t have a clue about what to expect. However after a gruelling two week wait, I finally received the phone call I had been waiting for. It was from a company I had recently interviewed with for an intern position. It was with great excitement that I accepted their offer to begin working with them. What happened next was definitely not expected. I received another phone call from a different company telling me I had been chosen for their intern position and they asked if I could start as soon as possible. It was at this point that I realised just how important it is to choose the right company.

After some internal deliberation I came to the conclusion that I had to choose the first company. Unfortunately I am unable to name them in this blog due to a confidentiality agreement. However I will say the reason I chose the company comes down to the fact that their work ethic and values are very similar to my own. From studying a communications degree I have learnt that having good ethical values is crucial for sustaining a fulfilling and successful career in the public relations field.  The company I am now interning with have a list of values which each employee is expected to respect. I find that all of the values which the company follow are equally important in the public relations and marketing industry.

I began my first day of my internship at the beginning of July. My new boss came downstairs to find me standing nervously at the reception desk. I was then given a tour of the two-storey office building and introduced to the marketing and public relations team. At this point I was filled with a mix of excitement and anticipation about what my first undertaking would be. I was given my own work space with a computer and a list of tasks to complete. This included researching and compiling a review of competitors’ services. It felt somewhat fulfilling knowing that I was finally getting to use my PR knowledge and put it into practice.  

During the time I spent in the office I experienced a range of different feelings. Admittedly, I began to feel a little overwhelmed and stressed that I wouldn’t be able to complete the work that was set for me. However, once I had finished I realised just how much I had enjoyed myself and how greatly I appreciated the amazing work environment that I was now a part of. If there is one thing I can share with my peers from this experience it is to stress the importance of choosing a company that reflects your personal morals and values. Believe me, it really does make a difference.

Enjoy your day and thanks for reading J


- Sarah

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Sarah, thank you for sharing your experience with us. Yes, you are very right, choose right company for completing internship is quite important. I am currently doing my internship with amazing marketing members at Whipper Snapper distillery. Like you said, you were nervous at the beginning, it took me one week to be able do my task. I was too shy to talk even. Now, since I get to know team members, I can say my opinions about marketing strategies and suggest my ideals about PR plans. I am now in charge of Chinese market for the company!