Friday, August 29, 2014

Monthsary at Ogilvy - Corporate culture

I can't believe that I've almost been at Ogilvy PR for almost a month. The past few weeks has been a really interesting journey for myself. But today's blogpost will focus on one aspect of my internship - corporate culture.

Let me start right from the beginning to when I had my first interview.

In school, we've learnt many things about corporate culture, the importance it holds not only as a corporate brand but also to the employees - and that was what my first interview showed me. Unlike the previous interview I had, as soon as I step into the O&M's reception lobby, I was overwhelmed by the physical environment of the company - the design, layout and colours. While most PR agency would choose more serious colours like white and blue for their layout, the reception lobby of Ogilvy was red. The colours were an indication of a fun and creative environment. In addition to that, I was attended to by a really warm and friendly receptionist.

As I proceed with the first interview, I came to learn that the interview was a test of communication and attitude compatibility, whether or not I could fit well with their company culture. I was impressed with how Ogilvy places high importance of culture compatibility when employing people. It was important to them to create an environment where everyone can work well with one another.

My interviewer later told me that Ogilvy has an open culture as well, which was quite evident in the layout of the office tables. During the course of my first month, it became apparent that the structure at Ogilvy PR was flat. Superiors sit together with their team in the same area. No one had a personal room to themselves. Even during lunch time, there was not a clear distinction between the director and those in the lower hierarchy. Everyone just sits together to eat.

The second interview I had was with my "team-to-be". Despite their busy schedule, all the team members appeared. It was nice to see how everyone in my team was interested in knowing who their new intern.

There were still many other instances during that one month which had shown me the kind of corporate culture Ogilvy carries around through its employees and physical environment. In short, Ogilvy has an open, creative and fun culture. As a fellow colleague had mentioned during my first staff meeting, Ogilvy is like the "Google" of Communication agencies. While the company carries a fun and open culture, it also carries a good amount of workload and stress.

Looking forward to experiencing and learning more. Stay tuned for more updates of my life as an intern :)

No comments: