Sunday, September 7, 2014

Building the Momentum


Hey Guys,

Finally getting around to posting my first post from my internship and what a road it has been.
During the mid-semester break I was sure that the issue of finding a PR placement was going to be daunting.  With just having finished Semester One and just under two weeks before flying out to Paris this was not the stress I needed.

I applied for many organisations throughout Perth that interested me and received barely any responses, I was running out of ideas.  My friend suggested I apply for Momentum Forum Events, where he was currently completing his internship.  I applied one day and within a few hours had been asked to come down for an interview. 

My interview with Barbara McNaught, CEO of Momentum Forum Events, went well and I finally scored an internship. Momentum Forum Events is an organisation that focuses on networking and marketing with a strong charity component.  Some signature events that they have created are the International Women's Day, Melbourne Cup Luncheon, JDL Men In Black Ball (MIB) in support of Mens Mental Health, and The Annual Pink Ribbon Gala in support of Breast Cancer. These events raise awareness and funds for the selected charities which is what drew me to the position. 

My first few days were exciting where I spent time with Barbara one on one working with her for the Pink Ribbon Ball.  We spent time looking at the highlights of Men in Black Ball and uploading it to the YouTube and Facebook page for Barbara's talk show Hello Darlink. Check out what we uploaded and the type of event Momentum Events organise. MIB 2014 Highlights


One exciting moment on my first day was to be included on a meeting with The West Australian about selling tables on Click2Bid which gives readers a chance to bid on tables at almost half the price. The meeting also included looking at the ad space we wanted to choose in the newspaper to capture the most amount of publicity and in turn sell tickets and tables.  Having the perceived idea that internships included a lot of coffee runs, and instead gotten straight into the work was definitely a positive. 

I am so excited to be working on a new project which is the Perth Pet Expo, helping organise from scratch with a team is going to be so rewarding and I know this is where I will gain a lot of my experience,  there is so much to do before the event so I will keep my blog updated with all the exciting stuff to come.


Kieran Lehane
15769639
Bentley Campus



No comments: