When they say that public relations is a fast paced, on the go industry - they really aren't lying! My internship with Rent the Runway - a start up designer dress hire company - has been all systems go from the very first day.
I was introduced to Lisa, my supervisor and owner of Rent the Runway through a friend when she was seeking someone to help her navigate the world of social media for her fashion business. As a newly formed business she didn't have a lot of resources and coming to her on an internship basis worked perfectly for us both.
So since starting over a month ago we haven't stopped.
My focus for the past weeks has been helping to develop a social media strategy for the business. In particular using Instagram and Facebook as cost effective ways to generate interest and engagement with desired stakeholders. So far this has been quite a bit of work. Deciding how we will use the different platforms and what types of information we wish to convey on them has been a collaborative and interesting process. Ensuring we make the right impression with the launch of the business is highly important. (No pressure!) I am happy to say that my many nights of trawling Instagram fashion pages is paying off.
In the coming week I will be submitting my plan for social media activities to Lisa. The goal is to begin implementing the plan in the month lead up to the businesses official launch that's taking place in November.
Aside from my focus on social media activities I have been helping more and more with other areas. Including assisting with stock selection, ordering, setting up the new store space, coordinating the launch event and securing potential media coverage for the launch. At first I was surprised that I was getting so much exposure and opportunity to do so many different things. To be honest I didn't think I would have that much to offer. But on reflection I think I may have sold myself a little short. This is really my first opportunity to utilise what I have learnt at uni in the "real world" and its kind of nice to get some feedback from outsiders which says "hey, you're alright at this!" Its a confidence boost that reaffirms my ability but also my passion for this industry. I think also working in a small business gives you the opportunity to do more - they really need all hands on deck.
And I am more than happy to put every hand I can on that deck!
Happy interning!
Jessica
Welcome to PR Internship - YOUR opportunity to put everything you have learned over the past years at university into practice and to get a thorough insight into what public relations is like "in the real world". This Blog allows you to reflect on your experiences, share insights with other students across campuses and to possibly give advice and support to fellow students. Please also see http://printernship-reflections.blogspot.com.au/ for more reflections
Tuesday, September 23, 2014
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hi Jessica,
I loved reading this blog post as your internship sounds quite different to most others I have read. I think its fantastic that you have been able to engage with social media to build up the awareness of a new business. The best part about it is that it is at no cost to the organisation!
The event coordination and media relations sound so interesting and are also key areas of interest for me as well.
I hope you enjoy the rest of the internship and good luck with the upcoming event!
Rebecca
Post a Comment