Sunday, September 28, 2014

Who said Pro Bonos weren’t rewarding?

Hello!!

This week has been exciting - and extremely satisfying.

It all happened after one of the Cannings Purple directors approached the Salvation Army’s women’s refuge centre, Graceville, which has been supporting Western Australian women and children in crisis for more than 130 years.

Graceville has two refuges providing safety for women and children, most of whom are homeless because of family and domestic violence.

Cannings Purple is helping Graceville source valuable donations and supplies and myself and another Intern were asked to work on tools, which could help the shelter in the future.

I was given the task of helping construct these tools, which so far include:

v Drafting a generic thank you letter
v Drafting a generic application for [donation] letter; and
v Drafting a profile for Graceville

I was lucky enough to go along with one of the CP directors and a couple of other colleagues to visit the Graceville shelter and interview Margaret MacDonald (Major) who gave us an amazing insight into what she and her staff do for these desperate and vulnerable women.

She also gave us examples of anonymous and shocking case studies and the programs the Salvos run to help these victims become independent again.

Walking around the shelter I could hear the laughter of children and parents who were peacefully and safely playing with toys and generally enjoying their time together. It dawned on me how important shelters such as Graceville are for women and children who, unfortunately, have been victims of domestic violence.

I was happy I was able to help in anyway I could towards this amazing cause.

My visit to Graceville made me realize how rewarding and satisfying pro bono work can be - not only for the not-for-profit organisations but also for those companies taking the time and effort to really help make a difference.

If I were asked to do it again I would jump at the chance!   

Until next time,

Rebecca Uglow
16177767
Curtin Bentley


2 comments:

Unknown said...

I totally agree Rebecca! My supervisor also runs a anti human-trafficking charity foundation out of our office and I have been privileged enough to do a bit of ad hoc work for them while I've been here. Learning about these issues makes you realise just how lucky we are and the hardships that people right here is Australia face. It must have been such a humbling experience meeting the people at Graceville.

Unknown said...

Hi Rebecca. I like pro bono work too! You are so lucky to be part of it and how I wish I could be involved in one too.

What I like about pro bono is that I'm able to give back to the community. From pro bono work, I'm able to help worthy causes and I'm sure the results would be satisfying. Besides the benefits of helping others out, it would also help to boost the company's credibility and reputation by doing pro bono work.

From my point of view, I think that companies that provides corporate experience, insight and expertise are far more respectable than simple cash donations. A great work you have done! Wish you good luck!