Wednesday, October 22, 2014

1# Nervous First Week : How the real world compares to university



My first day at Magenta PR was one of those times where your breakfast doesn’t want to stay down.
I've done quiet a few internships over my degree in film and events but never in a PR consultancy!

 From what we learn at university every thing is different, this is the real world after all.
I think this is one of the reasons I was so nervous because this is it, this is how you are going to be first seen in a PR professional light and your industry reputation begins.  



Instantly the variety of consultancies hit me, something university doesn't go into depth on. Magenta PR is a high end creative boutique which focuses on marketing, PR, events and brand management for clients from the retail and fashion industries. There are so many niche different consultancy's that cater for all different markets and the fact that even small Perth has such a variety was really interesting. 

Compared to our in class learning because of the different client range that magenta has, some aspects of public relations principals the consultancy does differently. 
An example is putting money figures on each media report of our client and/or product and complying it all in quarterly publicly reports. We are told in university not to do this as you can't put a money value on negative public relations and reports. However in this case I agree with their methods because of Magenta's clients industries as well as the maintenance of the consistency of the data and reporting. It helps put year to year reporting into a context for clients. 

At Curtin we don't spend a lot of time on Press Kits and their presentation, delivery and content. This is understandable due to the large amount of learning we must do in our course but it is something that is really important. This is especially so for Magenta, I sat down and did a total of 161 invites, press releases and envelopeson my first day. It was invites to an event and press kits for one of their clients and everything down to label placement had to be perfect. It is an extension of the consultancy's brand as well as the clients and encapsulates them in a physical manner on paper. Graphics, color, envelope and paper quality as well as the information of course presents the client to media and influential people and is extremely important.




BIGGEST RULE I LEARNT THIS WEEK:

It’s something I already knew from university but not even close to this extent- it comes down to the details! The more detail you have and give your client, media, and relevant other target audiences the more your client’s objectives and also your personal brand has to gain. 

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Completely agree, I think we need to learn more about valuing PR for employers and clients. At my internship I learned how to calculate the value of press coverage, so you can show the client exactly what you're giving them. I think it is important, because some clients and managers need to see a dollar value for their PR investment.

All the best with the rest of the semester!

Whitney

Unknown said...

It's amazing what the untrained eye can miss! Even though I feel as though I am a stickler for formatting and layout, I'm always that person offering to assemble group assignments, it's amazing the level of detail that a person in the industry does have.

My boss in my current role always picks up on the smallest of things. For instance, the other week a sentence in my PR proposal was written in a different font, that was quite similar to the original one. In the world of PR there is no room for error when you are charging by the hour (at least in consultancy).

I think the level of detail is crucial in our role as we have to view all material that is produced in the eyes of different target audiences. Hence the style, format and layouts of works is vital in ensuring key messages are communicated through the level and attention to detail.

All the best with your future in PR!

Felicity

Siobhan Herne said...

What an interesting point you have stumbled across! I did not really place much emphasis on how media kits are presented, and thought rather it was only about the content.

The little details such as the tone of an email or your sign off can be very important in the bigger picture. It sounds as though this PR Agency knows there stuff.

Good to hear that we are all learning valuable lessons from our experiences, however don't be too nervous as I'm sure they wont bite!

Good luck for all your future endeavours!