Hi everyone!
Congratulations to all of the PR393 students who have finished their internships and finished/finishing their internship reports (nothing like leaving it to the last minute!)
I would like to take this opportunity to reflect on the amazing experience I had whilst working at my placement. The opportunity I was provided with was invaluable and the skills I have learned and the knowledge I have gained will, I am sure, serve me well throughout the entireity of my Public Relations career. I cannot reinforce how lucky I feel to have had this experience.
At Fremantle Press I had responsibilities including, media relations, author management, stakeholder engagement and event management. I was entrusted to some extremely challenging tasks and surpassed even my own expectations of what I could acheive.
The most valuable experience for me was learning how to pitch to the media and also how to coordinate events.
In my time at Fremantle Press I ran (entirely by myself) three book launch events, from these I learned how much I can juggle at one time, how to effectively plan for anything and everything, and also, that no matter how much you have planned for an event, things can still go wrong!
I would like to thank Curtin University, PR393 staff, and Fremantle Press for allowing me this work experience opportunity. I believe it will prove invaluable on my resume and to be honest, I think I have learned more in the last five months at Fremantle Press then I have learned throughout my entire PR degree.
Good luck to all graduating students in your future careers.
Kate
Welcome to PR Internship - YOUR opportunity to put everything you have learned over the past years at university into practice and to get a thorough insight into what public relations is like "in the real world". This Blog allows you to reflect on your experiences, share insights with other students across campuses and to possibly give advice and support to fellow students. Please also see http://printernship-reflections.blogspot.com.au/ for more reflections
2 comments:
Hi Kate
Great response, I also learnt some valuable experience at my internship at Curtin University.
I really feel I was better equipped to go for the position that I have now gotten in PR.
The hands on unit of the degree have taught me the most about PR if I had not done PR393 I don't believe I would have felt confident putting my resume forward for the jobs I have been.
Sounds like your internship was really educational also!
Best of luck.
Hi Kate,
I too found my internship experience to be very rewarding. I honestly did not expect to feel this way, but it has definitely been one of my favourite units.
Like you, I spent a lot of my time working on collateral and events, allowing me to learn how to direct external communications in order to increase awareness among the right people. So valuable!
All the very best for your future.
Bianca
Post a Comment