I am happy to announce that I have completed my ten week internship with Magenta. It has been an invaluable experience and I am sure that I will take on everything that I have learnt on with me into 'the real world'.
So for my final post I thought I would share some of the highlights of my Internship.
Emporium Melbourne Launch Event
Being able to say that I was apart of the Emporium Melbourne Launch is something I will never forget. Magenta was fortunate enough to secure Baz Luhrmann as the creative director for the shopping centre and they both worked together to execute Baz's creative concept for the launch.
Although my contribution to this event was minimal - responding to RSVP's and sending out the invites, it was still a great event to be a part of the planning process and see the stress and pressure put on the Magenta team pay off with a huge success of an event, securing well-known celebrities and a whole lot of publicity for the shopping centre.
Just to see where my chosen profession could take me was a real eye opener into the types of projects that I may one day be working on, it was very exciting.
Weekly Meetings
As my assigned days at my internship was Monday and Tuesday, it allowed me to sit on their Monday meetings. This was my favourite part of the day - I got to see what projects they were working on, who they were working for and listen to the advice and experiences from Melissa Lekias.
From these meetings I learnt just how important client-consultant relationships are and how it important it is build and maintain them. learnt the importance of deadlines, and how crucial it is to make sure you meet them to maintain professionalism. I had insight into the types of activities they would perform for their clients and what type of PR they could generate for each client.
Although I was mainly just an observer in these meetings, it was probably the place where I learnt the most.
Magenta Team
The Magenta team was one of my highlights during my ten week internship at Magenta. The Magenta team were warm and welcoming and made me feel apart of their team and always giving their gratitude when I left each day which made me feel valued.
Thanks
Isabella
Welcome to PR Internship - YOUR opportunity to put everything you have learned over the past years at university into practice and to get a thorough insight into what public relations is like "in the real world". This Blog allows you to reflect on your experiences, share insights with other students across campuses and to possibly give advice and support to fellow students. Please also see http://printernship-reflections.blogspot.com.au/ for more reflections
5 comments:
Hi Isabella,
It's great to hear you had such a positive experience with your placement!
You're involvement, even though you say it was minimal, would have been a crucial aspect to the event. Invites, as I have learnt with my placement, are essential in the undertaking of any event. After all, without invites being sent, no one's going to come along!
The event sounds amazing, and it's so good that you could be involved in such a big event and see the stress and hard work that goes into it, and the wonderful feeling and celebration at the end.
I also think you were really lucky to be able to sit in on the weekly meetings, and get to experience a PR consultancy as a whole, rather than just see what you and you're department are working on at the time. It sounds like it's given you a great insight into the industry and what a consultancy would be like to work for.
Well done on your placement, it sounds like it was a really good one!
Ashni
Wow Isabella! What an exciting placement! How did Magenta secure Baz Luhrmann to be a part of the launch? Did you get to meet him? I find it so amazing when such high profile people become involved in certain events! We are getting so many famous people in Perth. Did you hear about Enex 100 having Patricia Field at an event this year?
Even if your role was the RSVP person, I’m sure you probably gained a lot from being around such an amazing events and having the opportunity to observe the staff in action!!
What a wonderful placement! Good Luck with your report.
Kait
Hi Isabella,
It wonderful see you’re having a positive placement experience. I particularly found you comment regarding the Magenta team being your internship highlight. I have personally found it has been the kindness and acceptance of the staff at my internship placement which made it such a positive experience. Feeling like you fit in really gives you the extra support and confidence you need to get the most out of your experience.
It’s great to see how observant you’ve been, and how you’ve challenged yourself to make the most out of every experience. Whether it's being involved in a large scale event or attending weekly meetings, it seems as though you are truly engaging with each task.
Keep up the good work! I hope you continue to get the most out of your internship experience.
Eva Niedzwiedz
Hi Isabella,
wow it sounds like you had the most interesting placement ever! Not many people could say that one of their first experiences in the PR world was working on the Emporium launch! I hope your next position somewhere is just as exciting.
Chloe
Post a Comment