Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Fashion Show .......... Yes Please!

My internship is taking place at Magenta Boutique Creative Agency in the city. Magenta is a PR agency that mainly deals with lifestyle brands as clients.

As well as PR, Magenta also has an in-house design team, so they are able to produce all the materials they need for press kits and campaigns without outsourcing to another company.

I have been really lucky so far at Magenta, the PR girls have been so good to me and given me more and more responsibility as well as teaching me so much.

On one of my first days at Magenta one of their clients was launching their online shopping website, so Magenta was hosting a brunch with a fashion show to promote and celebrate the launch. Part of my job was to dress the models in some amazing designer clothes for the show to promote the type of clothes available on the website.

It was a great chance to see how an event like this was put together, the type of people that were invited and all the prep that goes into making sure the event runs smoothly.

Back stage helping dress the models was a little bit hectic but also exciting to see how quickly the models dress, walk, change. And then just like that its all over.

The next day I was able to see what happens after the event. How you work how successful the event was and what PR value was generated from it.

When I started my internship I had no idea what PR calculations were or how to do them, but I quickly learnt how to do it and was amazed at how much value even the smallest product can produce in terms of PR.

The day after the brunch event I was tasked with going through all the Instagram accounts of the people who attended the event and work out the PR calculations for each one to go into the PR schedule and report.

It was really interesting and allowed me to use some of the social media skills I learned at uni and the skills I have learnt since starting at Magenta.

Hopefully I'll continue to be given task like this and be able to put more skills that I have gained at uni into practice.

Chat Soon.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

What a great placement, sounds like loads of fun but a lot of responsibility. Your comments about the value of PR activites for overall business are really good.
PR calculations sound very interesting, hopefully you can tell us more in the future :)

Unknown said...

Congrats on the internship at Magenta! I'm sure you've learnt so much from the team there! Good to hear that you've been able to see through events and been able to use some uni skills!
good luck with all the work :)

Unknown said...


Jess, this sounds like such an intriguing internship placement and I am sure you are loving every aspect of it.

An internship with a company like this sounds so rewarding-especially being able to help out with fashion events!

No doubt along the way you have made some great contacts and if you intend to pursue a career as a PR professional in the fashion industry then I'm sure you have gained a great amount of experience which will benefit you in the long run!

Your mention of PR calculations and learning about that part of the industry was very insightful and shows you have been able to gain experience in many areas beyond what can be taught in the classroom!

All the best for the future,

Maddie