Thursday, January 29, 2015

What is it like to be an intern in an exclusive 5 star resort?

   Yes! I am still in disbelief. To be completely honest, having to start this brand new year being an intern in the communications department of one of the best resorts in Borneo is pretty amazing. Before i proceed any further, let me just show very quickly how my office view is like.

Tell me how can you complain to this?
   I took that picture on my first week of my internship and it is so quick how time flies when you're enjoying yourself, yes I am enjoying my work! Even so, it wasn't all rainbows and suns when I first got in. Remembering how my first week went, i was hardly comfortable. I would say it was more of a process of getting used to how the organization works and  really fitting in. But it didn't bother me too much as I've always remember that my dad once told me that, "A tough character often grows in an unfamiliar environment." And so, that kept me going.

   On the first day of my internship, my supervisor explained and help me get familiar with how this department works.  I never would have thought what an important role PR is in this resort. In fact, in any organization out there. I remember thinking to myself, i cant believe all this has come to live. All that i have learned in the period of 3 years, I finally get to experience it first hand.

    During the second week of my internship, I am both honored and fortunate to participate in one of Shangri- La's annual CSR events. In this event, where candles are made of out recycled things such as used oil, colorful crayons, little glass jam jars and strings made me realize
actually just how easy it is to be environmental friendly.

During the event itself

Actual candles


   In class, CSR is so familiar to most of us. Teaching us the importance of the well being of the stakeholders of the organization. Telling us how important it is to also give back to society and the environment. I get to witness this just shortly after i started my internship, and trust me, it is more than what you read and hear about in books. After the event, I am require to help with the compilation of the pictures taken from the event for the write up about this event. As i am still new, I am only asked to read and learn of how they normally write on their press release. 

    Other than that, I also get to tag along on an inspection for a group of three Australian travel magazine journalist with one of my colleagues. In an inspection, we would host them (normally travel agents and journalist) on a night stay at the hotel where they get to try and experience the facilities provided my the hotel. This time, i get to assist my colleague in bringing them around, introducing to them the history of the hotel and showing them one of the most exclusive rooms of the resort, which was also Prince William and Kate Middleton's room during their stay here during their visit. In this inspection, i learnt how important is it to take good care of the media especially when they are going to do a write up about you as it reflects a lot on the reputation of the organization you represent. Therefore, DO NOT belittle the PR skill of one, because believe it or not, it can really bring you and the organization you represent to greater heights. 

    That's all for now. Stay tune for more updates on my journey as an intern.


Truly,

Alexandrina Yong


   

5 comments:

Unknown said...

hi Sandy!

what you've shared is very fun and insightful. it is so amazing how much you have learnt. hopefully you'll be sharing more of your exciting experience there. cheers!

Anonymous said...

Wow, your placement location looks amazing! I'd love to see more about how your company tries to align with CSR.

Unknown said...

Hi Sandy!

Great view you have there! Hope you're enjoying your work as much as you enjoy your view :P

Interesting stuff on your hotel's annual CSR event!

Looking forward to reading more about your journey!

Best regards,
Celeste Bolano

Unknown said...

Congratulations on scoring such an amazing internship at an amazing hotel!!
You seem to be coping and fitting in really well and not only using your skills but gaining things a classroom could never teach!!
Can't wait to read more~

Unknown said...

Hi Sandy,

Wow a 5 star resort! What an amazing opportunity and I am very jealous of your office view!

Only two weeks in and I can already see that you’ve gained so much knowledge and experience.

It's great that the resort is involved with CSR, can’t wait to read about more CSR events!

Kind Regards
Adina Job