Thursday, March 12, 2015

Kill the Habit

So in my previous blog post, I remember correctly that I did mentioned one of my habit almost made my Internship bad. Thus, I shall first reveal this Bad habit of mine, procrastination.

By procrastinating during the later stages of the Internship with Meritz Hotel Miri, I landed in “hot soup”, real hot soup metaphorically speaking. The first was that I was involved in corresponding sponsorship request and reply with other Hotels or Business that was involved in the Hotel Industry. The whole process from calling the respective hotels and businesses, followed by requesting the ‘sponsored’ objects usually in the form of complimentary vouchers by paperwork and then finally posting the ‘vouchers’ by courier to the respective hotels and businesses took at the most 3 to 4 days.

I was tasked with the enormous responsibility and yet my bad habit kicked in and I procrastinate a lot. When my supervisor asked about progress, I usually replied with two answers, one was nobody picked the phone or the paperwork is in progress and take time. The thing with all this sponsorships was that the respective hotels was organizing their annual staff party and there was deadline and all. This was when my supervisor decided to give me a good hard knocking lecture of the importance of time and that if we were late in replying back on the sponsorship requests, I would have made Meritz Hotel look bad.

Bam, and then it clicked in me. Oh shoot, even let’s say I’m not working there, this forked up will reflect badly not only on my employee appraisal form or my internship as a whole but also the fact that I am representing our esteem University and will jeopardize the future of others that may interned here. So I decided to buck up and get down to it. Even when on my last day of my internship, I was still hard at work going through the process of one sponsorship request.

I learned a good lesson, and that is never ever let your habits take over. Thank the heavens that my supervisor wasn’t that bad and let me off with a lecture. Otherwise my placement will be like 20 days required complete BUT with note of being fired on the 25th day.

However, it’s not the end yet for this post and I still have more parting words. In order to never lose your way in your placement or internship, depends on how you guys interpret it. For me is, never lose focus. I loosed my focus but gain wise words from my supervisor but still it reflects on me that I have the habit of procrastinating. And that, people, isn’t good one bit.

The end. I learned a very good lesson during my internship. And for this, I have to thank this unit or course in particular. Without undergoing this unit and going straight into the real working PR world, I will be in the deep end. This unit has taught me a lot of what I need to do once I am no longer a student. For after this, it is the real thing and I am prepared for it.

You have my eternal gratitude PR Internship.

See you all soon.


Teo Rui-Ming 

2 comments:

This Is Me Now said...

Hi, Vincent! Indeed it is very bad to procrastinate when it comes to work. Personally, I procrastinate a lot too, although it does more damage than good especially when there are multiple assignments due on the same day. The trick is to stop reminding yourself about how much work you have and how much time you need to complete everything. Instead, focus on your priorities and tackle the tasks one by one according to importance and deadline. Well, at least this works for me, I hope you find it beneficial as well. Good luck with your assignments and exams (this semester is almost over!) and thanks for reminding us all about the dangers of procrastination! Cheers!

Anonymous said...

Hi Teo,

First of all, congratulations on killing the awful awful habit of procrastination.

I’ve come to learn that procrastination is a deadly habit if it’s not properly contained. I remember the first year of university being an absolute waste of time because procrastination overtook the need to spend time on my assignments. I would constantly get distracted with something else and nearing deadlines I would just give up. This resulted in some pretty bad grades.

In my second and third year at Curtin, the units I took started to make sense of public relations, and that’s when I kicked procrastination in the butt, because I could suddenly make sense of it all. I think it helps to know the purpose of each assignment, to ask yourself why you’re doing it and to be able to answer with some enthusiasm.

I think it has become more apparent than ever in this internship unit, where delivering results doesn’t just affect your reputation, but a consultancies ability to deliver to a client. It’s quite mundane, creating constant theoretical works for university assignments, but I think that taking ownership of real work experience projects can really give a sense of satisfaction far superior to procrastination.

I conclude with one question, if your procrastinating habits followed you to your work experience, is PR really something you’re passionate about pursuing?