Saturday, April 4, 2015

Observations from Week 1

Having just completed my very first week at Professional Public Relations (PPR) in Perth, I thought what better time to share my first impressions. I have really enjoyed my first 5 days of full-time work, it’s been tiring but well worth it! Already I can see how well my university studies have helped set me up for the real world, with so many of my university tasks having been reflected in my PPR tasks.

I thought to help illustrate the things I’ve picked up from my first week, I’d compile a little survival guide of my three top tips for anyone just heading into their new internship. These are the tips that I feel are great to keep in mind when heading into any new work place environment.

1. Be confident and don’t be afraid to introduce yourself to someone new- the best way to get over that whole ‘new person in the office’ feeling is to get to know everyone around you. Be sure to introduce yourself, particularly to those sitting around you and you’ll be surprised how quickly you slip into place. Luckily for me the Perth PPR team have been amazing, all so friendly and welcoming, they really are a lovely bunch!

2. There’s no shame in clarifying your task- if someone asks you to do something and you don’t quite understand, always double check with them! There’s nothing worse than sitting down to complete a task and realising you don’t really understand what’s expected of you. I’ve found it’s always good to repeat your understanding of the task to whoever is asking you as this ensures that you’re both on the same page.

3. Always ask for a timeframe for completion- leading on from the past point, this is super important for your organisation and to be able to prioritise. Being in a consultancy means that there are a lot of different people working on heaps of different clients so there’s always something going on. Some tasks may just be ‘in your spare time’ type things, whilst others are urgent and need to be completed before a certain time in order to be sent off to a client. You never want to let anyone down, so always ask when they’d like something done by.


Keeping these three tips in mind will ensure that your first week goes a little more smoothly. I’d love to hear how everyone else is getting on with their internships and what their top tips would be – let me know in the comments below!

No comments: