Thursday, May 21, 2015

BANG..... THE END

Fifth week

The last week, was an enriching ending. The week started with doing a list of tour operators and airlines as there were mails to be sent and I had to search for emails and phone numbers. I had to look at the website of the tour operators or the airlines to find a contact person, number or email. After that I had to contact   the company, get the name a responsible person and their email address. It was all about research and making calls. In many similar situations, you also realise that the Internet become your best friend because before calling a company, you go through their website to see if they have any details.

My last two days were very enjoyable because, a student in her last year of college came, and wanted to have talk about the function of the company as it was for her project.  So we had to prepare the conference room for the next day before 11 O’clock. There were 20 students present so some refreshments had to be prepared.

On the day of the meeting, the promotional video was shown to them, then the consultant talked a bit about the company’s history, and overall about the different departments. At the end the students were given a book, a promotional video about Mauritius and a map of Mauritius, which is usually given to tourists who visit the company. Although it was not something official or a a big event, but it was interesting to be put into last minute situation and how to tackle it.... 

Some points to remember, whether it is a meeting, conference or  and important event, it is important to do a check list and to make sure that all is in place before the event.


So, that was my last week and my last post


Overall it was a good experience as I have seen the importance of PR in a company. When dealing with tourist, it is important that you bear in mind that you are representing your country and the company, thus it is essential to give a good impression. 

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello Melissa,

I can totally understand how the Internet has been of a great help when you have to look for many contact details to be able to do your task. My task was almost the same, I needed to contact the embassy of different countries based in Mauritius where I found all the data on the Internet, thus I think that we both know how this tool helped to save a precious time.

I think that once you are involved in an event (either big or small) it is always a pleasure to help to organize it, I believed that you were proud of yourself after the meeting since you have been able to tackle something that was not planned before. Thank you for sharing the idea of checklist, I actually totally agree with you, because it helps you to ensure that you have done every tasks. Based from my own experience, when I organized for the photo shooting, the check list really helped me to cross check my tasks so that on the day, I did not have any bad surprise and I must admit that it is not always easy to remember all the tasks that should be done.

I am glad that your internship has been a good experience and that it was an opportunity for you to put into practice your PR knowledge and above all, learn more how PR operates in real life.

Thank you for sharing your experience with us, and I wish you good luck for the report.

Gaelle.

Anonymous said...

Hi Melissa,

Wow, your journey in the PR industry seems like it has been a huge learning curve. I can also understand, like Giselle has mentioned, how the internet has been a great tool in organising events and flights, especially in my own personal life!

Best of luck with the report!

Wendy

Camille A Grenouille said...

Hi Melissa,

Indeed, checklists seem to be the basis of this profession: you need them to call journalists, to mark attendance to events, to check on coordination of events... Basically for everything.