Recently, I was given the task of formulating a fresh idea for an event and to develop a proper plan for it. It needed to be comprehensive in general and needed to feature factors like sponsorship plans and even strategies to handle the media.
I ultimately developed the idea of organizing a debate competition within the Curtin Sarawak campus next year. But in the process of developing the plan for this particular event, I learned plenty of important things regarding public relations in general.
One of the most important facet of organizing an event is sponsorship, as the funds usually determine our ability to improvise various other parts of the event. But sourcing for sponsorship in Miri is not an easy task. While I was analysing potential companies that would have an incentive to invest in the event, I realised that the existence of various student clubs had essentially saturated the sponsorship market within Miri.
But how does one stay relevant and still be able to generate attention from potential sponsors. That is the question that most organizations face on a daily basis.
Then, I had to formulate logistical plans and this is the tricky part. For every decision, there needs to be a back-up plan as well. Inability to provide a back-up plan could come back to haunt organizers when the event actually takes place. It's far easier to refer to a back-up plan that has already been documented, than figuring out an alternative when the problem eventually arises.
I spoke to a student on campus, who previously organized an international conference on campus and he provided me with tips on handling the logistical nightmares that could come up in any particular event.
This has got to be one of the biggest learning curves I've had in my internship thus far.
Till the next post!
No comments:
Post a Comment