Wednesday, June 3, 2015

It's almost over! Tweet tweet!


Hi everyone,

As my final days are approaching in my internship with Alcoa and I have began writing my recommendations for the big report, it got me thinking about the types of communication Alcoa use – and what how they could improve.

It’s hard to get your head around how a global company’s communications work and how so many locations and so many operations team can all communicate with one big, loud and single voice. Alcoa in the US are very active in the social media arena, whereas Alcoa in Australia do not participate in social media activities – and I believe they definitely could benefit from doing so!

Through years at university we understand the importance of social media in today’s contemporary society, and how influential social media can be through times of a crisis, or through everyday communication between an organisation and the stakeholders.
While I am not an active user of Twitter, I was having a look other PR blogs and stumbled across this one:Do something different, engage the media using twitter, giving me a better idea as to why Twitter is so beneficial for the corporate world.

This got me thinking about why Alcoa should consider tweeting, and how it could work for them, and also made me think how I could benefit from using twitter.

-          Creating friendships
-          Developing newsworthy messaging

-          Using links to company or personal websites

-          Tweeting press release material

If I had more time within the company, or got the opportunity for employment I would be interested in talking to the Corporate Affairs team about beginning to participate in the world of social media, I have no doubt that they would be amazed by the opportunities in communication it holds.
For now, I am going to create a Twitter page, to follow people within the PR industry, PR consultancies, as well as news channels and people of interest; it seems like the new way of the future!
 
Lauren

 

1 comment:

Caitlyn said...

I also believe that it's important to use social media platforms when communicating, even if it's a metal and manufacturing company that doesn't have a large social aspect to it like arts or tourism industries.
It's important to remember that Journalists are increasingly using social media platforms to source their stories and that not all stakeholders check official communication channels, so I think that social media provides the middle ground to initially grab the media and stakeholders attention then draw them to official channels.
Glad to hear your signing up to Twitter Lauren, it's great for getting in contact with journalists, as it seems to be journalists' favourite tool.
I haven't finished my placement yet, but you have given me something to think about when I finally write my recommendations. Thanks for your insightful post!

Hope you enjoyed your internship at Alcoa Lauren :)

- Caitlyn
Curtin University - Bentley campus