Perth Glory Football Club has been such a great experience for me and for my ambitions as a person. I have a clearer direction as to where I want to be in five years now than I ever had before.
Being able to be apart of media packages, after match media conferences, player appearances and being heavily involved in community development I now acquire such a vast understanding of organisational structure and the way things can and cannot work. I am a firm believer that for an organisation like Perth Glory to be successful its people within need to be equipped and experience in not only their field but also have the correct background. In my time at the club I’ve seen a lot of differing employment background come together to try and form one solid football (soccer) culture.
Maybe my opinion is naïve and it is inexperienced but I feel that for this organisation to be successful it needs people within it which have come from a soccer background. Many of the people within are those from cross rival codes employing tactics that may have worked for that code but lack the innovation and knowledge of soccer culture. I think it is the same with many things, you can’t get an opera singer to turn hip hop. In terms of public relations or marketing each market has its own distinct differences and each industry, although some are similar, are different in one way or another.
I guess the point I am making is how something can be successful if the background and knowledge behind it is disadvantage because it doesn’t have the right training. I’m sure many of you will agree and disagree as to what is the correct way to run a business but just because someone has made a name for themselves in one code does not mean it is possible to make the same name in another code.
Besides that point those who have worked with me and around me at Perth Glory have been great, they are great people have knowledge that specifies their appointment to a degree. Since being mainly apart of the community side at Perth Glory Football Club I have been working directly with Daniel Israel, Football Community Coordinator, he has had vast experience in a soccer culture. During the 2002 world cup he worked in Japan for FIFA organising a number of stadiums and the workings within the World biggest sporting event. Since working along side him I have learnt a large amount and hope to continue my development along side him. His knowledge and experience in the soccer industry has been a breath of fresh air for me, high commitment to doing anything is outstanding.
Dan has introduced me to number of aspects within the club that I was unsure of previous to my work with him. Being aware of other clubs community involvement is one of my tasks, therefore outlining where they have gone wrong and right as well as where we have gone wrong and right is a something that sounds simple but involves and lot of inquiring. This role has allowed me to provide a number of back up plans for the club and its has given me the inspiration to put together a report that looks at reshaping the clubs community development. The club is allowing me to innovatively express my ideas, this is very important to me as it allows me to work within my strength but also preform out of my comfort zone.
I’m not sure whether all my ideas, if any, will be adopted but this allows me the chance to gain a large amount of feedback on what is required, what is obtainable and what is achievable.
Welcome to PR Internship - YOUR opportunity to put everything you have learned over the past years at university into practice and to get a thorough insight into what public relations is like "in the real world". This Blog allows you to reflect on your experiences, share insights with other students across campuses and to possibly give advice and support to fellow students. Please also see http://printernship-reflections.blogspot.com.au/ for more reflections
Tuesday, October 28, 2008
Bening Apart of the Club Culture
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment