Tuesday, October 28, 2008

A New Season, a New Outlook

My chosen organisation is the Perth Glory Football Club and although things haven’t been going so well for the club at the current time it was all smiles prior to the kick off of the start of the season.

I have been involved in some way with the club since June 2007, being apart of a club with rich history is something that I cherish regardless of ladder position. I think if you are going to work for a sporting organisation you can’t be to involved with how they perform all you can offer is what you do and do it to the best of your abilities.

Before the season started the club was in a state of panic, not because it was being rated as wooden spooners but because the amount of work going into the club was and is enormous. From having opening day to season launch, to media releases for newly signed players or the community programs around Perth that are being organised everything is just a rush. During my first big club meeting it seemed very, very calm but it was still all known that the build up to the events being planned would be hectic and a struggle but hopefully it would be a success.

The lead up to the season was a success, our in club ratings were going well. There seemed to be a high interest in the dynamics of the football club and the Perth public wanted to see the team perform. When I first started in the office of the club it was a priority to understand where the club had come from and where it was going. What the major objectives are, what our other objectives are. On the field is not in the control of those in the office, although it does make our jobs easier, so for us blocking out that aspect and doing our job well was a requirement. We also pencilled the thought of if the team didn’t perform and how would that affect what I am doing. Sport is always going to be up and down. No club in the A-league is yet to provide a consist pattern from year to year therefore success and failure is always on your mind when you are working from within the club.

I guess a major highlight for me is meeting and working with in some way or another the reporters that would effectively write a good or bad write on the club. Meeting the likes of Jonathon Cook and Jay Clarke was a big highlight for me. As a younger lad I had always read all things football so meeting Jonathon Cook, the head football writer at the West Australian, was huge. From that point I was able to meet a lot of sports reporters and befriended a number of them to whom I wish to keep in contact with over my journey in this field.



No comments: