I think something that we all mistake when trying to select or find the right organisation for us is looking at the glitz and glamour from the outside. Lots of organisations have great reputations, they are well respected, some are in the media more than others and some are seen as perfect in some way.
Growing up my dream was a childish one but a normal one. I dreamt of playing the sport I loved, Football (Soccer), professionally. But once you realise your dream isn’t reachable and that it is in fact childish you settle for what is second best. Since my second year of university I wanted to work within an organisation that I would enjoy waking up everyday and going to work. An organisation that I’d feel passionate about al well as dedicated and committed to. Therefore I went about crafting by desire within the Perth Glory Football Club. With all the media attention the club has received over not just the last couple months but since the formation of the new A-league in 2004 a large portion of it has been negative.
For me this provided a great challenge to assist in the changing face of a football club which once held the pride of Western Australia. Since working from within I have learnt a lot. First is that not everyone can change everything regardless of ambition. I’m not sure how everyone else’s organisations work but this one is somewhat different to what I expected. Sure the people are great, the management is structured but something in club is a miss.
For me the experience for working within such an organisation was great I was able to see the real workings behind what a sports club actually does. The hard yards, the hustle and bustle as well as the little things that no actually believe the club will do. As sporting is the area I wish to work in once my studies are completed this experience allowed me to find what parts of myself I need to work on and what parts I should look out for.
Growing up my dream was a childish one but a normal one. I dreamt of playing the sport I loved, Football (Soccer), professionally. But once you realise your dream isn’t reachable and that it is in fact childish you settle for what is second best. Since my second year of university I wanted to work within an organisation that I would enjoy waking up everyday and going to work. An organisation that I’d feel passionate about al well as dedicated and committed to. Therefore I went about crafting by desire within the Perth Glory Football Club. With all the media attention the club has received over not just the last couple months but since the formation of the new A-league in 2004 a large portion of it has been negative.
For me this provided a great challenge to assist in the changing face of a football club which once held the pride of Western Australia. Since working from within I have learnt a lot. First is that not everyone can change everything regardless of ambition. I’m not sure how everyone else’s organisations work but this one is somewhat different to what I expected. Sure the people are great, the management is structured but something in club is a miss.
For me the experience for working within such an organisation was great I was able to see the real workings behind what a sports club actually does. The hard yards, the hustle and bustle as well as the little things that no actually believe the club will do. As sporting is the area I wish to work in once my studies are completed this experience allowed me to find what parts of myself I need to work on and what parts I should look out for.
1 comment:
Hey Jon,
I totally agree with what you say about waking up in the morning and look forward to going to work, being passionate about work, and staying committed to it.
When I was choosing a course to study before entering university I had totally no idea what to choose. An elderly said to me, look for something that you will enjoy doing and not waking up every morning and then dread going to work. And since then, that was a piece of advice that I remember and look for up till this very day. But honestly, there will always be a struggle between money and own interest. Interests sometimes do not make you earn as much as other jobs in which you may not be as interested in. quite a few people I know of are studying what they’re studying because of the money it brings in the future and not because of the interest they have for it. But then again, different people have different priorities in life and I totally respect that.
Glad that somebody else does feel the same way as I do too. :)
all the best with your placement.
Post a Comment