So I just started working a week ago. 17th November 2008 at Astro, a Broadcasting Network company in Malaysia. So far Im loving the job although I do ocassionally complain about the long hours and the crazy work.However I do find my job very inspirational.
On the first day on the job, I had to start working on an event called 'Campus Astro' where Astro basically sponsors Astro sattelite dishes to schools so that school children can learn from watching educational television programmes. Had to pack goody bags, set up demonstration stands, organise the arrangement of items and so much more.
I would have to say Im pretty fortunate or cursed, however you may put it, when I joined Astro because I had to start on events immediately. I have to admit, sleeping at 4 am is not exactly fun. AT ALL! However, I do realise that I was actually fortunate because despite all the running around, talking on the phone, panicking when one of the science demonstrator was running late, I still managed to feel that 'good' feeling everyone gets when they realise that the event was a success and its all thanks to the Astro Communications team. It made me happy to hear the Guest Minister congratulate the team on a job well done.
As for the work I do now, I have written news realeases, translated articles from English to Malay, created newsletter designs for Astro, read newspapers to find articles on Astro(EVERYDAY!), handle the media during a shooting session of one of Astro's dancing Programs 'Sehati Berdansar', Updated Astro's media list, handled 2 events and so much more.
Im basically learning something new everyday. Working at Astro has certainly surprised me. I have literally learnt that being a PR is not easy or as glamourous as people may make it seem to be. I have met so many local celebrities which many people will kill for but for me, I am busy running around to even stop and ask for an autograph. :(
lol. so......Did you get bored reading my post?
ps: I have posted and edited this 5 times and it still wont space the paragraph. GRRRR!
2 comments:
hey girl!!! i'm not bored by your blog at all, in fact, i enjoyed reading it! haha. I guess different type of organizations definitely offer different types of exposure and experience for us. Based on my experience and those that you've shared, we are all doing similar and also different things, although we all are in the same industry. Working as an internal PR and working for a PR agency will also be different in terms of responsibilities and the nature of work. I just hope that we all will have a better insight of what PR really is after the internship. Last but not least, let's learn to enjoy the job to the fullest, appreciate every opportunity we have to gain experience.
Hi Lynn,
Seems to me that your work sounds fun AND hectic at the same time. I have some experience of filming so I kind of understand what you mean by busy running around the whole day and sleeping at 4AM in the morning. VERY TIRING!!! That’s the nature of work in a filming industry or broadcasting network as a matter of fact.
All I can say is, try to enjoy it as best as you can. A lot of people do not have such opportunities where you get to witness filming. And all the other things that goes Behind-the-scenes.
And looking at your post, you have done quite a number of PR tasks. Being a broadcaster, as it is always known, Astro did surprised me as well with the things they have offered you. Great opportunities I would say. :)
PS:// PR is not glamorous at all! It’s a lot of hardwork, effort, and sacrifices to a certain extent (as far as what my own internship has thought me). But the thing is, as long as you love your job, you’re passionate about it, That’s all that matters! Although there will always be certain aspects of one particular job that you’ll dislike.
All the best yea. And ENJOY it while you can!!! :)
Post a Comment